1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

budget capture cards

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by kayak2sg, Jun 2, 2005.

1. kayak2sg

kayak2sg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    possibly been covered before, but here goes......
    can anyone help me in finding a budget capture/edit card for a pc, to smoothly run premier 6.5?
    the matrox rt. range is way out of my budget, even 2nd hand! (ebay ect.)

all i really want to do, is edit some footage with fairly straight forward transitions. i have heard capture/edit cards can take some of the 'strain' and help speed things up.
    my pc is a 2.8 p4 400mhz
    kind regards,
    2sg.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Well if you can't afford/justify a hardware codec card then all you need is something like This. At around £10 and including the cable to connect the camcorder it is a lot cheaper than the likes of the Matrox cards but is perfectly ok for DV capture.

Mark.

3. kayak2sg

kayak2sg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    have you heard of an edit card called a cameo rt 200? comes with ulead editing software and retails for about £70. wondering if this will work with 6.5? do you reckon the 'rt' means real-time?
    anyone any idea?
    regards,
    2sg.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Well with a quick Google search for cameo rt 200 I found This. It does state:
    but looking at the card it just looks to be a bog standard firewire card with no real time hardware codec! It looks to me that the extra money is spent on some basic 'SE' software rather than dedicated hardware that will not be used if you intend to edit with Adobe Premiere Pro! So IMO you would be better off saving the extra money and just getting the basic firewire card & cable.

Mark.

5. kayak2sg

kayak2sg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again.....and for saving me a few quid on some phoney 'rt' edit card!
    regards,
    2sg.