• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Budget camcorder uner £200 for 16yr old daughter

jimbob19

Established Member
After some advice really , my daughter is very much into media at school.
The use MV830i's at school I believe and she wants a camcorder for xmas , but it must have nightshot mode - even if it is b/w

I have narrowed the choice down to either the mv830i or a sony DCR-HC24E and possibly a sub £200 JVC JVC GR-D340EK , was initially looking at some of the samsungs but they seem to get poor reviews.
Which would be the best camcorder to get out of that range considering it has to have good nightshoot ability

:lease:

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
MV830i is a discontinued model, but if you can find one it's decent.

Of the current range they all have night mode - even the entry level MV890. The MV890 even has a microphone input.

The Sony DCR-HC24E is OK and also has night model, as is the JVC GR-D340EK. The differences aren't that big between all of these, but I find the Canon models generally best at this price point.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Let me answer this in two ways:

In normal shooting (not using any special night mode), the MV890 (or MV830i) is better than the Sony HC24.

If you are talking about shooting in near darkness - they approach this in different ways. The Sony has a built in IR light, which shoots "green and white" images. This allows you to get reasonably clear video even in total darkness, though without colour.

The Canon's night mode is to reduce the shutter speed etc... to keep the colour but try and improve the picture in low light. So as a plus you get colour, on the downside it isn't as clear, and if there is a lot of movement will look poor.

All the Sony models have this IR light/night mode... it's generally not common on other brands.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom