Budget buy - SCHT-500 or DCS 313?

J

Jezzaboy

Working on a budget of around £250ish - my folks want a home cinema system. From all the packages I have seen and heard, I like both the Panasonic SCHT-500 and the Pioneer DCS 313. I like the fact that the Pioneer is DPL2, shame the Panasonic isn't really.

The system will be working with a Panasonic TV - so I am tempted to go with the 500 just for the extra compatibility.

I have heard both players in a store - they do sound superb, though the Panasonic does sound a little more crisper.

Which of the two do you peeps rate?

D

DDDavo

Hard decision. I often (ok i admit, always) include looks, if i don't think it looks good i don't buy it. Thats what put me off the pioneer. However on my Sony which uses Pro logic 2 i swapped it back to pro logic a few days ago for comparrison and to be honest pro logic 2 isn't a necessity over pro logic however i do admit on some tracks it provides a stronger more simulated rear channel output (so i swapped back to PL 2)

The Panny has the looks and is around £250 at the mo, the pioneer is just peeping over £200 i think. Compatibility shouldn't be an issue as the only reason why you connect it to your TV is for the picture and as for audio well thats just a standard analogue input to the system from the TV.

Really, there isn't much to decide between them, ok theres looks and there is Pro logic 2 but i cant really say much more! Sorry!

Oh one last thing, I consider audio quality to be a huge factor in what i purchased and i was on a budget of £300 in september and clear crisp sound is often important, especially for dialogue through the centre speaker.

J

Jezzaboy

Cheers for that mate.

After reading a view reports on this site about poor reports on the DCS sound quality - I am opting for the panasonic. Might try and convince that the 900 is worth the extra coin.

D

DDDavo

On that point the SCHT 900 would be a good system. £350 from www.comet.co.uk and im sure it supports dolby pro logic 2 and has floor standing speakers which means you don't need to buy speaker stands. It aslo has a 5 disk changer! (Not that i consider that to be important but its an advantage i suppose!)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom