1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

budget AV setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thelordmagus, Dec 11, 2004.

1. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, first let me say that your help is greatly appreciated.
    I'm on a rather "tight" budget, and I'd like to get myself a HC system. I have the TV (sony 28" flat screen) and the dvd player (pioneer 565S). Now I was using a marantz PM4200 with a pair of eltax liberty 5+ until I moved to the uk. I'm now thinking of getting an AV amp of the yamaha rx v640 type. Nevertheless do I still want to enjoy stereo music (any style, from death metal to classic) as far as I could on my previous equipment.

So which amp would you recommend, and which speakers would fit? For now, the yamaha rxv640 and the cambridge audio 640R seem rather interesting and not too pricey. In terms of speakers, getting a new pair of liberty 5+ seem hard as they are discontinued. So maybe a front pair of mission m31?
    Honestly, I have little experience, and my stereo experience so far doesn't really help.

Anyway, I'll appreciate any reply, and I'm not too much in a rush, except if everyone tells me to get the yamaha, as it's discontinued as well, and does not cost that much at richersounds for the moment (until it's gone).
    ta,

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  3. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Dfour,

Thanks a lot for your help. I was actually considering this amp some time ago, but I couldn't find it for less than £300 :thumbsdow

Have you (or any other member here) ever used this site? I must say that I'm a bit suspiscous when it comes to hardware e-tailers. But if you recommend it, it should be ok I guess :laugh:

I believe a few richersounds outlets in london still have a few ex display models. I might try these, but otherwise the missions will do. Our living room isn't huge so to say.

An last thanks for recommending a center, because even though I did not mention it, I don't have any clue about these... :rolleyes:

Ta,

4. Ingo Bingo

Ingo Bingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have to agree the denon will probably do the trick, i'm stunned i have just sold of my hifi kit, tag pa20 pre amp 2 nad 2400 monoblocs & Rogers Ls55's due to moving house in the new year & as a stop gap picked up a Denon 1603 & a pair of Quad 11l's.

Can't believie what i am hearing, Yes the denon is a little underpowered but in 2 channel direct stereo its pretty good with the quads, who say's AV amps are no good!!!

Ingo

5. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok, so I'll definitely go for a denon then... Just need to wait until payday now :)

Thanks a lot for your help and opinions, all of you.