1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NinjaKi11a, Oct 14, 2003.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upgrading from a stereo system to av has not been an easy path, but up until now I have managed to eventually make decisive choices about what to go for. I now find myself choosing an av-amp...

The front two channels will be connected via pre-outs to my Nad C370 amp and I have zero interest in DVD-A and SACD so music is not important. I am not overly concerned with what connections the av amp has: it will be a fairly basic setup (DVD - coaxial, X-box - analogue, Sky+ - optical). I'd prefer one without a radio (no antenna), but will not rule out a receiver. My 'budget' is up to £400 (that's with some shopping about, so slightly more expensive is an option.)

I have no experience with surround sound movies (nor do I have much time) so I don't think demoing would be that beneficial. I am therefore looking for some experienced advice.

My current system: Marantz CD6000KI, Nad C370, Quad 11L, Toshiba 36ZD26P, Pioneer 565, Quad L center, Mission 771e rears, (a sub will be added somewhere down the line).

My main options so far:

- Yamaha DSP-AX640SE: I like the idea of not paying extra for the receiver. I'm concerned about low power output, but as it is not running the front stereo, will this not be such a problem?

- Pioneer VSX-D812: Good review in What Hi-Fi, but I'm paying for a receiver. How would this compare to the Yam for action movies?

- Marantz SR5400: but is it worth paying the extra bearing in mind it won't be running the front channels?

I know it's a epic question, but help would be very much appreciated as I'm pretty stuck.

Thanks in advance.

2. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi

Sorry to be of no help in answering your question, as I am only at the 'start line' of the upgrade pat but I just wanted to know how you are getting on with the Mission rears with Quad fronts as that's what I was considering. I have seen comments on this forum about the need for 'matching' speakers. Is this something that you agree with given your setup or is it, as I suspect, more than adequate for decent DVD viewing.

Thanks

Paul