Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Budget Amp - Denon 1803 vs Marantz SR4300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Darren Rhymer, Jan 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Darren Rhymer

Darren Rhymer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Trying to decide which of the above receivers to buy. Can get both for ~£300 inv VAT.

Both seem to have the same modes (DTS, DD, DP2 etc).

Anybody any opinions on either of these?

Thanks

Darren

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Well if you can get both for £300 it sounds like a real bargain. Just buy both now ... listen and choose which one you want and sell the other one on eBay :)

Seriously ... the Marantz will probably edge the Denon for Musicality (2ch stereo) whereas the Denon probably edges the Marantz if all you want is sound for films etc.

I believe both have PLII, DD-EX, DTS-ES (and certainly SR4300 has discrete as well as matrix). If it's likely to be importnat to you, the Marantz has full 6.1 channel pre-outs but the Denon only has pre-out for the sub.

Victoria

3. Darren Rhymer

Darren Rhymer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply sounddog.

Look at unbeatable.co.uk for both amps

SR4300 £266.96 + P&P
    1803 £298.96 + P&P

Is the display on the Marantz bigger and better? Have both got on screen display and s video switching? (probably wont use it but anyways)

D

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    The 4300 is available from RS for £240, that may help you decide

7thguest has just bought one, the main reason he went 4300 was because of its music ability

5. Darren Rhymer

Darren Rhymer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounddog, what is the web site for RS please?

£240 chricky thats cheap. I prefer the looks of the Marantz as the display on the denon looks small. Both look nice though.

Oh Im looking for a gold model, £240 for a gold one or black?

May be ordering one soon if its gold

Thanks

Darren

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
  7. Darren Rhymer

Darren Rhymer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just phoned Richer Sounds in Bristol

They only sell the Marantz 4300 in Black.

Bugger, oh well £300 aint that bad!!

D

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I've got an SR5200 and the display is very clear from across the room (4m or so). From looking the display on the SR4300 looks very similar.

The SR4200 doesn't have an OSD, but does have S-Video switching.

BTW - why you going for gold ... the black is soooo much nicer :))

Victoria

9. Darren Rhymer

Darren Rhymer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounddog

the reason i have to buy gold is ................

the missus.

no surprise there then!!

D

10. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen both of these receivers in my local (30 miles away) Sevenoaks shop and, despite what others have said, the Denon is by far the nicer receiver. The Marantz - especially in black - has a very "plastic" feel to its fascia, and it looks as though somebody with greasy fingers has smothered them all across the front. By contrast, the Denon has an absolutely gorgeous appearence.
    And all this before you even begin to compare the sound quality of the two. Despite the naive pre-conception that Marantz receivers are superbly musical, the SR4300 completely abandons this trend & instead just tries to pack thousands of features into an admittedly cheap receiver. The result is corner cutting on build, power amp quality, processing, and just about everything else you can think of. The SR4300 sounds flat & uninvolving, aswell as occasionally harsh. The Denon had a much more present & cinematic sound to it's movie presentation, whilst at the same time having greater presence with stereo & a suprizingly natural balance between the front channels. I managed to get my AVR1803 for £350 from Sevenoaks. Admittedly I could have gotten it about £50 cheaper elsewhere, but the shop was so helpful I just payed the extra anyways. I coupled this receiver with Mission 771e fronts, 77C1 Centre, 77DS Dipolar Surrounds (four of for the seven poweramp channels the Denon is equipped with) and a REL Quake subwoofer. The result is fantastic.

11. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Darren

Before you buy please look at a few of the other Marantz threads in this section there have been a lot of unhappy people who have recently bought Marantz, me included, due to time delays when switching chapters/layers etc etc.

I had the 4300 and changed it within two weeks because of the problems and have now reverted back to the yammy 630 (my second yammy used to have the 496).

I'm not advocating Yamaha in any way. I have only heard petrolheads Denon 3802 which is very good indeed.

Just thought you better be warned!!!

Regards

7ThGuest :)

12. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the marantz sr4300 and have had no problems with it.
    i am quite happy with it and it is good value for the money.
    as always have a listen yourself before buying, then decide.
    i think dimmys post was a bit ott, and hope you arent put off giving it a demo by his rant. :)

13. Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should have let it run-in. Two weeks is not long enough to make an accurate judgment.

Hardly a fair comparison :rolleyes:.

14. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

15. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben Hur & Adox,

You are both quite right re my original posts. I was obviously premature with my initial praise of a bit too excited perhaps!!

After the first day or to after plugging in and setting up I started to play some of the new DVD's I had just bought off the forum and didn't really notice a lot. I then, however, started to play my usual suspects to do comparisons with my old setup. That is when I noticed the delays and started to test further. I won't make that mistake again!!

I can't see the point of giving the amp chance to 'bed-in' when it had an obvious fault which on further investigation here on the forum and at different local dealers was known about but not greatly highlighted.

I certainly was not trying to make a direct comparison with the 3802 just stating I had heard it and it is very good.

I am not trying to sway anyone one way or another I am just giving information on what I have experienced, everyone must test and judge for themselves.

I am sure there are lots of happy Marantz owners out there but looking at this section at the moment there is a lot of faulty Marantz threads, just didn't want anyone else to go through the same grief!!

Regards

16. Bob The Builder

Bob The Builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't the same thing happen when you bought your Elac sub/sat system, said it was excellent and then bought floorstanders the following month and now swear by them instead.

17. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely Bob

I was very impressed with the Elacs (I didn't bother with the sub by the way, I already had one) and I still think they are an excellent budget sub/sat system.

However, due to another very generous forum member, I was lucky enough to get an excellent set of floorstanders at a knock down price. I certainly could not, because of my budget, have gone that route before and that is why I went for a sub system.

I am very happy with what I have now and am happy to admit I'm wrong if that is the case. So if any other 'new' members wish to point out my faults please go ahead :D :D

R u all from over the water or am I getting paranoid :D knew I should have saved up for a velodyne and some AG's could have followed everyone else then :p

Kind regards & best wishes

Edited to add link:
    Just noticed this Darren

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65387

18. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Marantz ownership arent all members of this forum,so dont represent the majority of people who have bought these models.

With a 0.5 second delay not affecting the movie itself i cant complain,i think my marantz sounds much more accomplished in musical terms than the yamaha or denon ,and yes i have demoed all,and matches them for movies.

19. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    empiredirect.co.uk are selling the avr1803 for £283 +p&p

and both of mine have given out. as stated in my other post.

although it was very sweet when running.lets see, about 5days and 10mins in total for the both of them. maybe just my luck i dunno.

BJ.

20. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7th guest,

what a strange post. your earlier explanation was fair enough, and answered all my questions. but what`s with the "r you all from over the water" quote? not the sort of tone i would expect on this forum.
    and as for your "new members pointing out my faults" comment, surely everyone is entitled to their views, no matter how long they have been a member! you have been a member since september last year, which hardly makes you a veteran, but really should be irrelevent. you either agree with people or you don`t.

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I think that he probably means Gatehead :D

22. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Ian J :D

You've obviously been to Gateshead, that should send the thread in a spin again :) having said that I don't know if anybody in Gateshead has or knows how to use a computer - only joking :D

Adox you are quite right and there was no offence intended, to anyone.

It's a shame not everyone on the forum shares your views I have made several comments myself, still as a newcomer I hasten to add, which have been dismissed out of hand. I am certainly of the opinion anyone/everyone can and should have they say no matter what level of experience.

Regards

23. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that 7th guest.

so what`s all this about gateshead then?:D :D

24. 7ThGuest