1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget amp choice advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JudgeBaxter, Oct 16, 2004.

1. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi guys,

As the cheap sony strdb790 that I brought has gone kaput, I need to spend my refund (+ a little extra!!) on something else.

For between £200 and £250 the choices seem to be

1) Marantz 5400
    2) Yamaha 640 (can't remember exact model no. but it's the one that Richers are selling for £250)
    3) Sony strdb795
    4) Denon 1705

anything I've missed out.

Usage split is 80/20 in favour of movies, but I do like my music to sound as natural as possible when I do listen to it (tricky with a budget amp I know!). I almost brought the Marantz, but then thought how quickly the technology is changing and should I get something bang up to date like the Sony (but then read someones elses thread about the new sony 795 having the same fault as the 790 I brought......)

Arrrrrggghhhhhh!! I'm unlikely to upgrade for a couple of years at least - will the Marantz have most bases covered do you think? Should I let it's relative age put me off of it or just steam in?

I've read up on the models above on here and via other sources, but there doesn't seem to be a clear winner.

Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated

Best Regards,

Dave B (JudgeBaxter)

2. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think thats pretty tricky choice there mate. I would say for natural sounding i would go for the denon because they have a good rep for nice warm sounds and from what i have heard that seems to be true, however i have alos found them to be liacking dynamics particularly on really fast pace scenes but its only a very minor thing i noticed. The sony im afraid i have never heard but from what i hear they are very good value for money.
    One you might have considered aswell is the Pioneer 814 (cheapest i have seen it is £235) and it comes with a nifty auto setup thing (MCACC) also has a fair degree of power but can sound harsh and over bearing.
    Hope i helped but the best advice i could give you is give your local a call and arrange a demo, if you arent going to upgrade for a few years then perhaps it will be time well spent?

3. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    if you are interested in a Marantz it may be worth looking into the SR4500. This looks like it is has good specs, and is available now. It along with the Sr5500 are being very slow to make it to the dealers, but they are available, at AV-LAND, and the price will probably drop as it hits more websites.

Ricky

4. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Why not look through on the 2nd hand ads? You might be able to pickup a good amp at a bargin price.

5. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 1705 and love it. I was in the same position for you and ended up going for the denon based on its reputation, and the fact it was considerably cheaper (from unbeatable.co.uk). I have no idea why people spend more than this on amps! i think it sounds great :)

6. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As per other thread recommendations.

Panasonic XR45.... if you can still get them there. Else a XR50 or wait for the XR70 to come out.

My upgrade from Denon 1602, instead of 3805 or AVR300.

As you "like" to have 2ch as good as possible in your budget, this is where the little pannys excel..... definate improvment on "conventional" recievers (ie analogue amps)

7. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi There,

Certainly wouldn't rule out the second hand option, but there doesn't seem to be an awful lot coming up at that price point that would be a particularly good buy over what can be had new for the same price (does that make sense??).....

I've noticed that some awesome amps can be had second hand for around the £400 mark (denon 3803, Yammy 1400) but, tempted as I was to blow the budget, they would then seriously outclass the rest of the kit (mission 702e's allround, paradigm pdr-10 sub and paradigm c-350 centre) and I'd end up doing another 1K+ on further upgrades etc. etc. + I've got a relatively small front room (14ft. by 11ft.) and one of those monsters would barely get to stretch it's legs.

I've been leaning towards the Marantz 5400, but it was mainly it's relative age that was holding me back. I guess the fact that it started life as £500 quid amp is worth noting as well, isn't it?

cheers for the replies so far guys...

regards,

dave b (JudgeBaxter)

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  9. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As well as second hand, have you considered buying from Germany. A few people have done this and seem to be getting very tidy purchases, particularly with Yammy amps.

Mark.