1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget amp and speakers for under £350

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by phenom2003, Oct 30, 2003.

1. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now after delaying it, I think the time is right to get a 5.1 set-up for my bedroom, it's about 15mx10m so what sort of speakers should I be going for, sattelites or bookshelf? I want to be able to upgrade it as funds permit, but I have about £350 now to spend on it, all I want is speakers and an amp or reciever (6.1 with dts-es discrete and PLII) (I'll be using my XBox until I get a proper DVD player). Any recomendations in this price range?

Rich :clap:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Your best bet will be to get a surround receiver (Yamaha, Denon, Marantz are all available for ~£200) and spend the remainder on the best pair of stereo speakers you can afford.

As much as you may want surround sound it'll be worth the wait if you can invest in some quality for your front-end now and upgrade to full surround as funds permit.

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, any amp or speakers in particular worth the money, I was thinking of getting a sony STR-DB790 reciever from avland, and thinking of a pair of mission standmounts for the fronts, the only problem would be a sub, would it be cheaper for me to buy a 5.1 kit later on and use the 6.1 of the reciever and just stick one of the speakers away, as a decent sub looks to cost about £200 s/h.

Rich

edit: I'm pretty sure the m3- series has replaced them, but how about a pair of these and how much should I be spending on stands and speaker cable.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    See my "help me choose an amp for my sister" thread link to yamaha AV25 package for that sort of money!
    I think you are looking at almost exactly the same as her

5. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phenom2003:

You can still get the Marantz SR4300 from richersounds for £200

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemlist.php&&x=&c=2103&dir=DESC&sb=itemxt16&lastlimit=20

and get two pairs of M71i's for £50 per pair and an M7C1 centre also for £50 from richers while stocks last. Plenty of power for a bedroom setup and IMO a good match. As far as a sub is concerned I would start saving as I do believe BK Electronics are readying a new lineup of subs.

P.S. If you have any problems getting hold of the SR4300 then try ringing their stock enquiry phoneline on 0870 3661296.

P.P.S. I see richers are selling the M73 at the moment for £100 so if you want larger front speakers consider a pair of these and get your surrounds at a later date. I'm sure something from the new M3* range will suit later on. BTW if you can find another £20 I'd get the improved M73i's or if you end up buying all the gear from richers I certainly think you are deserving of a little discount.

6. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    check out your local comet for eltax jupiter 5.0 speaker set i bought some last year and there really good