1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget Amp and Speakers for Movie & Music

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spib, Jun 9, 2004.

1. spib

spib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy an amp (maybe w/ receiver) and speaker package. The speakers I'm looking at the moment are the Mordaunt Short Premier Plus system. Is there anything better for a similar price? I'd like the system to double as a music system (insofar as I'll be playing MP3s through them from a Media Centre PC/CDs through my DVD player).

As regards amps, I'm open to suggestions. I was interested in Yamaha but I'm told they're not to good at music. I've heard Denon are quite good in thi price range?

My budget is max £650.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

James

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    It seems that once a manufacturer has a reputation for doing something well or something badly, it sticks no matter what. Yamaha amps used to be pretty woolly in stereo (and they still aren't the class leaders) but they really have come on since then- I don't think you'd be dissapointed with them. The most musical amps at this point are probably still the Marantz units but they are less user friendly and less downright loud than their Denon and Yamaha rivals. The Denon stuff seems to be consistently good but personal preferance would lean toward the Yamaha's with the Premieres or (going on other recomendations) the Harmon Kardon range. Marantz (our distributor let us not forget) really don't get competitive until the SR7400 which is a bit more.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  4. spib

spib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies so far. Sorry I wasn't clear before, the £650 is for an amp and speakers.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Aego system may not be suitable if he wants something he can upgrade easily.

I took a look at the back of the unit and there are no speaker terminals apart from co-ax outputs, which suggests to me that the processing is done in the little box, and the amplification is taken care of by the sub, similar to how the Digitheatre DTS used to work from Videologic.

So upgrades will be difficult.

I think a Yammy 640 and the Mordaunt Short premier package at peter tyson would be the way to go

7. spib

spib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's correct, I want the amp to be a standalone unit to allow for future upgrades etc.

So the Yamaha RXV640RDS is a possibility. What do you guys think of the Denon AVR-1804 or the Marantz SR5400? Is the Marantz SR5400OSE worth the extra cash?

Cheers for the help so far

8. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've got the 1804. I auditioned it alongside the Yam 640, and to my ears, there was very little difference when playing a movie, but the 1804 sounded a lot better for music playback. This was with a set of Kef Eggs.

I'm very happy with my 1804.

Balders.

9. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got the Denon 1804 (£277 inc) and the Premiere Plus (£325inc). Not had too much time to play, but I lkie the sound more & more each time I listen. I upgraded from a Yammy amp & cheap Eltax speakers. I would say the Denon is 'warmer' in sound to the Yamaha it replaced.

I'm still tinkering with the setup of the Ms309 sub - needs careful integration to avoid being overblown with bass.