Budget AMP and DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nutter, Dec 11, 2002.

1. nutter

nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have a friend who is setting up his first home cinema system on a low budget and I am after some advice on a good amp and dvd player for him. His budget is £500 for the amp and DVD player which will be connected to Mission FS2 speakers and a 32inch Panasonic TV. I have more experience in the higher end gear so I am not quite sure what to recommend in his price range, he is looking at Yamaha for the amp and Pioneer for the DVD player. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good combination for both video and music??

Thanks in advance for any help:)

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If £500 is tops then it's a struggle particularly if Yamaha & Pioneer are the suppliers.

Within this budget you can get a Yammy 620 amp + pioneer dv646 + some change. These are both slightly out of date models, hence their cheaper cost. The only problem is that they won't give that good a performance with CD music.

The yammy 630 + pioneer dv656 give pretty good musical reproduction - the 656 in particular having made big strides over the 646 (it also benefits from being SACD compatible). Unfortunately the bill for these two will be around £600 (i'm assuming Multi-Region for the DVD player). BTW the 630 also includes stuff like DTS 6.1 ES so it's a bit more future proof

So if music is important where else to look? A good friend of mine recently purchased a Marantz SR4200 amp + Marantz DV7010 mr dvd from Richer's for just under £500 & I have to admit that they go together really well for music.

For home cinema the Yamaha / Pioneer combo would be my choice for music Marantz wins :rolleyes: