• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Budget Amp Advice

Pacific555

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I was looking for a bit of advice on potential amplifiers / receivers. My current set up is B&W 601s, old Sony Amp, marantz cd, decks and mixer, dab tuner, with xbox/tv through aux channel using tv headphone jack. I really fancy getting a Network Streamer to for internet radio purposes as I listen to a lot of radio. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a stereo receiver, with streaming, and site this beneath my tv, (for my tv and xbox) then run an audio out to my aux channel. DAB would be a bonus as this would allow me to ditch the aging dab separate. If the abovementioned is possible, any recommendations - would be looking to spend £300 - £500? Thanks.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Have a look at the Yamaha RN602, I think this ticks all your boxes.

Turntable input if needed, line in, built in streamer and internet radio (check your dab stations if they are available online this will likely be better reception), optical input for your tv if it has one and Xbox.

Pacific555

Novice Member
That looks a pretty decent machine for the money. I was actually thinking of keeping my old Sony and wiring the new amp through the aux channel but thinking about it, the R-N602 could replace both the amp and the dab freeing up a bit of space. Thanks for the advice.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
It would be counter productive, at best, to continue to use the Sony in any fashion over the Yamaha. The 602 will be an improvement in all respects.

Unless the Sony was a pretty high end one?

Pacific555

Novice Member
It's not high end - it's a budget sony amp SONY TA-FE530R, owned from new. Although to me it sounds decent with the 601s when the source direct button is used. Part of thought of using the aux channel was to minimise the cables running through living room. Decks, Tuner and cd player live at one end and telly, xbox, ethernet at the other.

password1

Distinguished Member
Another solution would be to get a dac and use the optical out of the tv to connect to the dac then to the sony amp aux/phono input.

Pacific555

Novice Member
Hi I did think about that option but I'd still have to get a streamer, but I could do this maybe and get a yamaha wxad10 for £150 and buy a dac on top, which would save me a bit of cash. I was doing some looking online and saw a pioneer sx-n30 dab. Is there any views on the best option of wxad10 plus dac Vs the pioneer sx-n30 Vs the yamaha 602?

password1

Distinguished Member
does it need to be one system for all.or do you have space for a separate system for the tv.

you could consider a cheap avr, which will have built in dac but that would mean another unit.

the cheapest solution without having to sell or get rid of existing equipment is probably to get a budget dac and a separate streaming device/unit.

the simplest solution is to get an amp with built in dac and streaming, it would save all the extra cabling as well.

Pacific555

Novice Member
Hi, I have space for another amp. I'd prefer to just keep the one set of speakers for though rather than have a completely separate set of both. I agree a separate dac and streamer looks the cheapest option. I suppose it's just weighing cost / benefit up of each option.

Onlythesound

Prominent Member
Indeed you are right. I had a similar dilemma and ended up with the Denon DRA 800-h which ticked all my boxes and looks like it may tick yours. It’s powerful at 100w into 8ohms, it streams, it’s also very connectable and is Alexa and Siri compatible. I have it connected to a Blu-ray player, our tv and PS4. We usually stream music via Spotify premium or Apple Music and play CDs too. It’s now at Richer Sounds for £449.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom