Budget Alternative to the SVS-PB1000

Oroborus57

Novice Member
Hi, all.. recently my Yamaha YST-SW205 of about 17 years (purchased in 2003) took a dive. I’ve been looking for something to replace it. I’ve got a Yamaha RX-V685 driving two Yamaha mains and Eclipse Center & Rears. The SVS-PB1000 seems drool-worthy for my needs. My home theater area is about 15’x10’. Ideally, my budget maxes at about $200 unless I’m willing to wait longer to save, but being without a sub sucks for me.

Is there something like a poor man’s SVS-PB1000 or something on par with the Yamaha I had I might be happy with? Anyone know of any deals out there?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Well as you live in US you could look Monoprice Monolith 10 THX which should be even better than PB1000. Not sure could you get this from some site that offers finance as in pay monthly.

Then you also have very popular HSU VTF-2 MK5 for only slightly more.

From the budget woofers Polk HTS 12 should be decent, but not as good as those mentioned earlier, even with larger driver.
Amazon product

If you must get something right away then this is most popular pick from the "dirty cheap" subwoofers in US. You can find more information from owners at AVSForum (US) if you google. It does have long amp warranty, but also many amp failures.
Amazon product

I would definitely save up for Monoprice/SVS/HSU! Will be worth every penny cause the jump from Yamaha to real subwoofer will be noticeable. :) While you get good rumble with Polk and BIC, the Monolith 10 and PB1000 would give you quite strong output down to 20hz, also better build quality and likely better bass quality aswell. Polk should be good from what is reported, although bit high port tune. You can also find some Monolith 10 THX vs. SVS comparisons on youtube.

Few reviews:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom