1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget all in one <£200

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by eas4uk, Oct 23, 2003.

1. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    What are the best options to bring my folks into the 21st century for under £200.

The plan is buy them an all in one system for xmas for under £200. What are the best options? I've found an ad in Makro mail for the samsung ht-db120 for about £180 but I can't find any reviews about it. Does anybody have one and can rate it? I'm presuming it will be multiregion via a remote hack being Samsung.

They already have a Philips dvd player so the other alternative is to get them an AVreceiver and sat/sub package which means the money is better spent on what they actually need so what are the best options on this.

I'm asking as I haven't got the time to go and check any out at the moment due to work obligations:mad:

Thanks for any comments

eas4uk

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
  3. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for that - Its definitely the right price:D and looks the part

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RS have the Sharp DTAT50 system at £250 IIRC and includes a DVD MP3 player FM tuner etc. Worth a look

5. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    For another <£50, you can have one of these all-in-one systems belows. They come multi region ready, good pictures & sound, and they both have a very important feature apart from Dolby Digital and DTS - namely Dolby Pro Logic II sound which takes a 2-channel sound from e.g. you nicam tv or a video film or sky and makes it to a 5-channel sound style, obviously not a genuine 5.1 sound, but everyone here can confirm that it really makes a difference. The one you mention DB120 has Dolby Pro Logic but it is a much older sound system and doesn't even come close to DPL-II.

Multizonedvd is selling the JVC TH-A35R for £232.77 including multi-region & delivery, it comes with Lord of the rings 1&2 free via JVC promotion (coupon redemption that comes with the pack). Good reviews both here and mag (the only negatives is that volume a bit restrained, and the unit is noisy).

Here is the link - http://www.multizonedvd.co.uk/acatalog/JVC_THA35RMR.html

What Video Widescreen Ent gave it 4/5 - here is the link
    http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbenc...v.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3032

Bestpriceav is selling Samsung HT-DM150 for £215 incl multi-reg, but I'm not sure what the delivery cost is but it shouldn't be more than around £10. OBS the non modded ones are actually more expensive! Really good sound, picture and styling, the only negative was that because of its slightly deep size it is best to measure the tv-bench first.

Link - http://www.bestpriceav.com/audio/htdm150.htm

Samsung HT-DM150 has got really positive reviews from both members and magazines.

What Home Cinema gave 10/10 and What Video Widescreen gave 5/5. It includes Dolby PL-II

Link - http://www.whathomecinemamag.com/cgi-bin/reviews.php
    Link - http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/index.html

I reckon the Samsung 150 is a super buy.

Wasabi,

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    We'll I've got a Samsung HTDM150 myself. Truly superb bit of kit. Despite the description though it doesn't have progressive scan mode. That was on the usa version and was stripped from the european pal version as was the component sockets which progressive scan is used with. Two points about it that may be negative is that it doesn't have s-video out only composite and scart rgb. Scart RGB is the best connection anyway though but if you had a tv that had a spare s-video scart socket and had planned to use it with this then sadly you'll only be able to use composite. Personally I can't tell much difference between composite and s-video anyway. Where as RGB is wonderful in comparision to either. The main disadvantage is that it outputs region 1 ntsc dvds in pal mode only. Good if you've got a tv that doesn't work well with ntsc but otherwise bad. NTSC to PAL conversion is good on it but your going to see very slight jerking on panning shots on ntsc dvds.

If your after the Samsung you'd better act fast as its a deleted model. As far as I know this model is the only highly rated Samsung home cinema model so if your going to get a Samsung make sure its a htdm150 or htdm140 (they are both the same model). Dixons and Currys may still have stock too but their price will probably be a lot more.

7. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for all those comments -

I found a review in What Home Cinema for the JVC and they gave it a good review.

Any comments on a Sony HT-BE1??? Have found it cheap (£160) at Empire Direct

8. IainGamer

IainGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19