Question Budget 70" TV recommendation thread...

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 60" Sharp LED (LC60LE636E) in the living room. Had it 6 years and can't fault it.

However I'm now itching for a size increase. I was looking for 70" but there seem to be very few, 75" seems to be the standard. I'm not 100% sure I can fit a 75" so I'll have to check the measurements.

My budget is £1k and I probably need to be pretty strict on that. Sources are Xbox one and SkyQ.

Think there’s only one or two 70” models. At 75” look for the Hisense A6xxx series, however if you need wide viewing angles then look for an LG model.

There’s very few sub £1k 75” models about so you may have to check pricespy to get the best deal.

All options will be 4K and smart regardless.

I'm wary of LG, used to have a 50" LG before I got the 60c Sharp and the LG packed up in under 2 years. I shouldn't hold that against them but once bitten etc.

Viewing angle not such a big deal. It's a large living room, about 5m by 4.5m and 99% of the time it's just my wife and I on the sofa directly opposite the TV.

I'll have a look around and post some models for review. Only one that caught my eye so far was ironically an LG, the 70UM7450PLA.

I'll also have to break out the tape measure and see if a 75" might work

The bigger the TV the worse the defects you will note in the picture. Personally I would go for a smaller tv of higher performance for the same money. You could always just sit closer!!
Alternately what about a run out older model, or even go second hand to get a much better spec?

You could always just sit closer!!
Not really an option due to the layout. I'd post a picture but I don't want to make your heads explode when you see the height it's mounted at... (above fireplace). It's a long running AVF joke.

Alternately what about a run out older model, or even go second hand to get a much better spec?
Warranty makes me twitch on stuff like this. The aforementioned LG crash for example.

Well worryingly, the space is big enough for a 75".

And the Hisense H75A6600UK that @zeppelino mentioned earlier is available for £1099. Over budget of course but not too much. I'll actually have more bother convincing the wife to allow the extra 5 inches (;)) than to allow the extra £99.

There's also the LG 75UK6200PLB for the same price, or the Toshiba 75U6863DB for £1k.

LG will have poor contrast. Avoid Toshiba, they’re built by Vestel in turkey alongside thousands of other ‘brand’ TVs.

The Hisense is a front runner then. The 65" Hisense is £550 so it's a bit nuts to consider paying double that for the 75" but I'll see how the negotiations go.

There were two 70" models in 2018 ranges if you can still find them. From LG and Sony.

The LG is specced exactly the same as the Hisense A series with a 60hz panel.

The Sony is specced better with a wide colour gamut and 120hz panel, but availability and price will be poorer.

LGs (top two results)- 70UK - Search at PriceSpy Ireland

The UK69xx comes with the magic remote rather than standard, identical picture quality.

The Sony: Sony Bravia KD-70XF8305 (TVs)

EDIT* these TVs are included in my guide here: My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

Certainly at £1100 the Hisense A series is good value but if you can also find the LG for around £800 at 70" its a good deal.

Avoid LG at other sizes as they use IPS type panels.

The 70" panels they use are probably sharp VA panels.

Excellent info @Dodgexander thanks.
Negotiations have taken place, and further measurements have been done.

75" is too much. I'd be left with about 3.5" wiggle room above/below which would even make getting it onto the wall mount difficult. Plus anyone sitting on the second sofa wouldn't be able to see the bottom left corner of the screen as it would be blocked by the fish tank!

A 70" might work, but I think I'll settle with 65" and be sensible. About half the price of an equivalent 75" version.

The 65" version of the aforementioned Hisense is just £550.

I'll have another sniff around at what's going at the 65" range, and drop my budget down to maybe £650-700 max.

What am I missing, on Amazon the 2018 model, H65AE6100UK is more expensive than the newer model, the H65B7100UK.

Or are Amazon telling porkies pies and the B7100 isn't just a newer model of the same TV?

Or are Amazon telling porkies pies and the B7100 isn't just a newer model of the same TV?
No the B version is their new 2019 range and they appear to be the same spec but the main plus of the A series from 2018 was the fact it was reviewed so well here on AVF, especially since it had good out of the box picture accuracy which is rare for cheaper TVs. We have yet to see if the new TVs are just as good so whilst it will probably be just as good, if not better, there is no guarantee.

If you have opened up 65" then you can look at mid range models instead of the A series such as the Hisense U7A which at £800 is very good value. Its replacement; the U7B is actually worse spec with only a 60hz panel compared to last years 120hz.

Spotted that one too, it's a ULED rather than LED isn't it?

This all takes me back, lol. I first joined AVF a lifetime ago to research my first ever flatscreen, ended up with a Samsung 40" LED that is still on the go. Cost me £1100 at the time!

I should make a glossary for each manufacturer.

With Hisense ULED is what they use to describe their edge lit LCD TVs and DLED is what they use to describe direct lit.

Direct or Edge makes no difference whatsoever to picture quality unless you are looking at higher end TVs with good local dimming.

Actually, 99% of TV specs listed on manufacturers websites and store websites are trivial. Its best to avoid reading into them.

OK some thoughts...

First of all, I'm in Ireland but I live a mile from the Northern Ireland border so I'll be shopping in the UK. That said, getting stuff delivered to NI isn't straightforward. Amazon for example won't ship to NI, even though bizarrely they will ship to the ROI. So I'm usually restricted to Currys Argos etc. Richer Sounds would deliver I suspect but their stuff is a bit above my price range, although I know they offer much better warranty.

So from looking around:
Hisense H65U7AUK - £800
Hisense 65AE6100UK - £580
Toshiba 65VL5A63DB - £600
Philips 65PUS6503 - £650
LG 65UK6400PLF - £700
HISENSE 65B7300UK - £800

I suspect that from the previous posts, @Dodgexander will recommend the Hisense U7A?

Any thoughts on the rest?

I'm worried that many of the reviews I read on the U7A mention poor HDR performance.

I'm upgrading to a Sky Q and gradually moving to 4k films from bluray so I don't want "her indoors" to give the dreaded review "I don't see much difference"!

I'm worried that many of the reviews I read on the U7A mention poor HDR performance.

I'm upgrading to a Sky Q and gradually moving to 4k films from bluray so I don't want "her indoors" to give the dreaded review "I don't see much difference"!

None of the other models are good with hdr. For that you’re looking at £1200-1500, maybe slightly less. Next up from the U7A would be the Samsung NU8000/Q6FN but these are thin on the ground. And even then not that good with hdr.

That's where I'm shamed to admit I'm possibly a bit thick.

What's the difference between 4k/UHD/HDR?

Even if the U7A isn't the best for HDR, am I likely to have a noticeable enough difference from the old Sharp LC60LE636SE?

Sharp LE636 (LC-60LE636) LED LCD TV Review

My brother in law recently changed to a 43" 4k TV, can't remember the model but it was a cheap one that he bought in Tesco I believe.

He was streaming Netflix on it and the picture was impressive enough for my wife to admit that she would be interested in an upgrade.

Yes the U7A and as already mentioned, you can't expect much from HDR in this price range, in fact the Hisense U7A despite being poor with HDR is better than all the other TVs on your list as it uses a wide colour gamut. Its replacement is the U7B and the new U7B actually isn't as good spec with only a 60hz panel.

Yeah as I say, I've just educated myself on the difference between 4k (resolution) and HDR.

Safe to say that moving from Sky HD on a 1080p TV with no HDR, to Sky Q on a UHD TV with even poor HDR will be a significant jump in quality.

And as I understand it, Sky Q doesn't even have HDR content yet?

Basically (shame) I was reading HDR and SDR as HD and SD.

So when it said poor for HDR, I thought "why bother getting a 4k TV if its not very good for HD content?

:eek::blush::facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom