Budget 7.2 AVR

BaggieBoy

I've recently updated my TV to a UHD version, all working well. My existing AVR (Sony STRH-820) is not 4K compatible and so all my 4K video sources are plugged in directly to the TV. The AVR is plugged into the ARC HDMI port of the TV and so I'm able to get 5.1 sound for all input sources.

With this arrangement I have no spare 4K HDMI ports available on the TV. The AVR is also prone to cutting out (thermal protection) when used at a mid to high sound levels. Because of this I'm in the market for a decent but not too expensive AVR. I have a couple of spare speakers so looking to add then to the rear to get 7.1 (maybe 7.2 later) sound.

I've been looking at the Denon AVR-S760 and AVR-X2700 which seem to retail around the £599 mark, however I'd ideally like to get something for sub-£500. Was hoping to see some reductions in the post Christmas sales, but nobody seems to be discounting at the moment.

Any other AVR's I should be looking at?

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
If experiencing the AV receiver going into protection mode due to it overheating then you ideally need to address why it is doing this? Any new budget AV receiver you buy will only have the same or similar power available to it as your current AVR so if it is overheating due to the load you are imposing upon it or due to poor ventilation then the new AVR is going to also have similar issues.

You'll be very luicky to see many if any AV receivers in the sales. THey are rare as hens teeth and in great demand. There's no real need for the retailers to have to clear stock so no need to offer these products at a discounted price. Retailers are easilly manageng to sell the limited stocks they themselves can manage to get hold of without any need to discount them.

This is probably the cheapest receiver you'll find that meets your requirements:

I doubt you'd find another 7 channel option below £500 and you'd probably do better bey increasing your budget somewhere north of £600?

BaggieBoy

Not keen on the speaker connections on that Sony, I'd prefer to have all connections support RCA plugs if possible.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Not keen on the speaker connections on that Sony, I'd prefer to have all connections support RCA plugs if possible.
RCA plugs?

I think you mean 4mm banana plugs? These are typically the type of termination used with speaker wire when connecting said wires to speaker terminals on an AV receiver or audio amp that accepts such plugs:

maxresdefault.jpg

RCA plugs are not used for speaker wire terminations. That type of plug is more commonly refered to by the term phono plug:

BaggieBoy

After doing some more research I'm now leaning towards putting a 5.1.2 system together instead of 7.2, the other thing the AVR would need to support is Dolby Vision, which knocks the Sony system out of contention I think. I'm leaning towards the Denon AVR-X1700 but it seems in short supply. The AVR-760H seems a bit easier to pick up but is slightly less powerful.

Decisions, decisions...

Pulse1

Or you could try getting a second hand Denon AVR-X1600H? It also ticks all your boxes. Try giving Peter Tyson a call they might still have one lying around?

BaggieBoy

All the X1600H's I can find are located in Japan and I don't fancy importing. I've contacted Peter Tyson just in case. There was a seller on Amazon that is wanting over £3500 for one!

Jay53

Denon AVR-X1700H DAB is in stock at Peter Tyson.

Afaik the x1700 (both variants) are currently exclusive to Peter Tyson or direct from Denon.

S760 is pretty much the same as the x1700 non Dab, just lacks bi-amping and two speaker pre-sets. The latter I guess means could have 7.1 (as preset 1) and 5.1.2 as preset 2 and use a speaker switch box to physically swap which speakers are hooked up and the speaker pre-sets to switch what the amp thinks are connected.

Other than that s760 is available elsewhere. I just object to paying the same price as the x1700 for it though :)

BaggieBoy

Get what you say about the S760 vs X1700, since I have no desire to Bi-Amp or switch speaker setups, the S760 would suit me.

Got an email from Peter Tyson, they have no p/x'd X1600's. They say they currently have 6 X1700 likely available when they get the next shipment.

I re-evaluated my requirements and having a Dolby Vision compatible AVR isn't important, the only DV capable source I have is an Apple TV 4K and that can remain directly connected to the TV. So the cheapish Sony STR-DH790 would work, however again it doesn't seem to be readily available at the moment.

BaggieBoy

Put in an order for a X1700H with Peter Tyson, hopefully they will get stock in early January. Also ordered a pair of Eltec upward firing rear speakers to make a 5.1.2 set-up.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Put in an order for a X1700H with Peter Tyson, hopefully they will get stock in early January. Also ordered a pair of Eltec upward firing rear speakers to make a 5.1.2 set-up.

If setting up a 5.1.2 setup then you'd be advised to locate the upward firing speakers at the front of the room on top of your front left and right speakers as opposed to locating them to the rear of the room:

by default 2021-12-29 at 16.33.54.png

gibbsy

Agree with the above. Place the upfiring speakers on top of, or as near as possible, to the front left and right. Configure the Denon as having 2 Dolby Sp speakers. Run Audyssey and set as small with a crossover of 120hz or higher. Increase the levels by 2dB or 3dB.

Jay53

Agree, although x1700 allows you to configure them as Front Dolby Atmos or side Dolby Atmos if you prefer and placed them on top of your side speakers

dante01

Distinguished Member
Agree, although x1700 allows you to configure them as Front Dolby Atmos or side Dolby Atmos if you prefer and placed them on top of your side speakers

Denon and Marantz AV receivers do give you that option, but it wouldn't be in alignment with what Dolby themselves advise:

Dolby Atmos enabled speaker positioning
We recommend installing four Dolby Atmos enabled speakers whenever possible. The use of four speakers will make the placement of overhead sounds more accurate, and you’ll get more precise, realistic sounds when an object, such as a helicopter, passes overhead. Two of the Dolby Atmos enabled speakers (whether they are integrated speakers or add-on modules) should be placed in the left front and right front speaker locations of your system. The other two should be positioned ideally in the rear surround speaker locations or alternatively in the surround sound speaker locations.
If you are using only two Dolby Atmos enabled speakers, place them at the left front and right front speaker locations.

It is far easier to attain the correct angle relative to the listener this way. It is practically impossible to do this if not locating the upward firing speakers in front of where the listener would be sat.

Jay53

Denon and Marantz AV receivers do give you that option, but it wouldn't be in alignment with what Dolby themselves advise:

Dolby Atmos enabled speaker positioning
We recommend installing four Dolby Atmos enabled speakers whenever possible. The use of four speakers will make the placement of overhead sounds more accurate, and you’ll get more precise, realistic sounds when an object, such as a helicopter, passes overhead. Two of the Dolby Atmos enabled speakers (whether they are integrated speakers or add-on modules) should be placed in the left front and right front speaker locations of your system. The other two should be positioned ideally in the rear surround speaker locations or alternatively in the surround sound speaker locations.
If you are using only two Dolby Atmos enabled speakers, place them at the left front and right front speaker locations.

It is far easier to attain the correct angle relative to the listener this way. It is practically impossible to do this if not locating the upward firing speakers in front of where the listener would be sat.
Hence why I said agree as I know full well what Dolby says roll eyes again :D

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom