Budget 55" for £500

Bagboy

Novice Member
Hi I'm looking for a budget 55" TV which I need to buy this weekend, the budget is £500 which I can't go over. We currently watch movies, Netflix a little bit of sport and normal TV from virgin, nothing above hd.
Viewing angle is not more than 30 degrees
But due to the size of our current TV stand I'm restricted by the width of the feet of the TV to a maximum width of 90 cms
I know I'm looking at the lowest end and I'm not expecting the best but I need a little help deciding, these are what I've seen so far that I can get within my budget
Lg 55un81006lb
Hisense 55ae7400
Samsung 55tu8500
I can also get the hisense 55u7qft but have read on here some people having problems
Is any of these better than the other or is there something else I should look at
Thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
Samsung over LG for the VA rather than IPS panel?

Do they all come with a 5/6 year warranty?

You can always swap to an aftermarket centre stand if that’s a decisive factor

Bagboy

Novice Member
thanks for the reply
Are you implying that the LG with a ips panel would be the better buy ?
They are all from Costco with a 5 year warranty
Not sure about swapping the stand as it may not look right
Thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
thanks for the reply
Are you implying that the LG with a ips panel would be the better buy ?
They are all from Costco with a 5 year warranty
Not sure about swapping the stand as it may not look right
Thanks
No, the VA Samsung as you don’t have wide viewing angles. Did you read the guide, intro and for 55 low tier models
Up to you on the stand, just offering an alternative

Bagboy

Novice Member
Yes I've read the guides but I'm still very confused and going to Currys earlier hasn't really helped, they did mention aftermarket stands as well
The Samsung is a no go now as I've just found out its ex display,
Thanks for your advice I may just go for the Hisense ae7400 now
Thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
Is ex display an issue if full warranty and stonking price?

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Also actual use of ex display models will be minimal due to stores being closed in lockdowns.

Dodgexander

Look at the specific models in my guide rather than choosing only from the ones in the OP. Some TVs are better value than others. The Samsung TU8500 is usually a waste of money compared to the TU7000 or TU7100, for example.

Also decide on a panel type first before picking out specific models. Its the most important decision when buying a TV, which is why the guide is set up to separate TVs based on panel types.

All the info is there in the guide.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom