Budget 5.1 Setup - Suggestions

Stoofa

Established Member
Reaction score
OK - I know loads of people on here hate "complete packages".
However this is all I'm looking for.

Basics:
At the moment for 5.1 Dolby/DTS/Insert other letters here I really don't know much about sound at home we have a lovely cheap system.
It was bought from Tesco around 18 months ago - a Technika HTS System.
It contained a lovely slim-line DVD player.
An active Sub and 5 satellite speakers and I'm going to be honest and say this system has been fine.
I know it is considered "trash" compared to what is available out there.
However it's just me and the fiancee and it has been great for our needs.

I will soon be replacing our ancient VCR with probably a Pioneer 530H DVD/HD Recorder.
Seems crazy having two DVD players, so will remove the Technika DVD player from the setup too.
Would have been more than happy to keep the speakers/active Sub that came with the system.
Unfortunately the system seems to use a "Technika Only" connection between DVD player and active Sub.
So if I stop using the DVD player I also need to replace the speakers/active sub too.

Looked at something as cheap and cheerful as the LG LHA2000 which looked idea.
However Richer Sounds have stopped this via mail order, local store doesn't have any and as they were selling it for a bargain price of £49 I'm reluctant to pay another High Street store nearly £150 for the same item.

Bottom Line:
Looking for advice on complete 5.1 setup without DVD player.
Doesn't need seperate Amp - have been using cheap/budget system with active Sub for 18 months and honestly, I DO know what I'm missing but I am looking for a budget way of keeping 5.1 surround sound whilst upgrading the DVD player and VCR to the Pioneer 530H.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Check out Ebay.

I just took delivery of an Acoustic Solutions DS1233 ( Argos £170 ) for £70 delivered.

Bought as " graded goods " meaning slight cosmetic damage , cant find anything more than small scratch on back of subwoofer.

Plenty of choice there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.
Even at £170 that doesn't sound too bad but at £70 that is excellent - does the seller have any more? :)
I've been looking at the Yamaha TSS-15 which I can source for £110 but I think I'll take a quick look around EBay.

Ta

*Edit*
Actually I've found the exact same ones for £79 "Buy it now".
Same guy also has a few on auction so I think I'll watch these.
Did you decide on these on recommendation?
Please let me know how well they perform - very interested.

Stoofa ;

Review of DS1233 ;
http://www.reviewcentre.com/review_comments109684.html

Very pleased with mine , only had them 2 days so haven't really tested them yet but seem very clear+loud+bassy.

Tip for you - don't buy @ £79 , I was watching these for some time the RESERVE price is £60 ( give or take a quid ) , some don't reach the reserve price so then you pounce !

Good luck

Cheers.

Stoofa said:
OK - I know loads of people on here hate "complete packages".

Stoofa, I don't hate complete packages, but I would advise against them because they are not cost-effective in the long run. If you buy separates, you can upgrade them one set of components at a time (amp, speakers, etc) and eventually end up with a very good system.

You bought a complete system 18 months ago, and you've already outgrown it. Chances are that in another 18 months you'll do the same again, and the resale value of these systems is pretty poor.

skull-eater said:

In the end I took mrdbristol's advice.
I purchased the Acoustic Solutions DS1233 package from EBay.
Managed to get the system for £60 - this appears to be the users reserve on the package.
And then I was charged £12 for delivery which wasn't too bad.
So I paid £72 for around £180 worth of equipment.
The guy who is selling a few of these packages lists them as having cosmetic damage.
The Active Sub had a mark down the back which should I have paid the £180+ in a shop I'd have taken them straight back.
However you don't notice it unless you look at the back of it.

So far I'm loving the set.
Sounds great to me and the unit/speakers look amazing in the flesh - the pictures don't do it justice.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom