1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget 5.1 amp+speakers (£200)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by brendan_dj, Oct 15, 2005.

1. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I'm searching (for my father) for a budget Home-Cinema amp+speakers.

His 15 year-old midi-hifi (stereo CD+cassette+radio) has finally died. He used to have it connected to his DVD player to produce stereo sound when watching movies. He wishes to replace it spending £100-£200.

I am trying to convince him to go a step up in the world and replace it with a 5.1 cinema sound system.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a setup for less than £200. He does NOT want to replace his DVD player.

How about a Yamaha RXV350 amp and NSP 110 sub-sat speaker package for a total of £180 from Richer sounds?

He is coming round my house tonight so that I can demonstrate Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS sound through my system. Hopefully, he'll be blown away by my Denon AVR2105 and Denon DVD2910 to convince him NOT to buy an ordinary stereo.

2. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I think, after doing some more searching, I have found my own answer:
    AV-Forums thread on Yamaha 357

I think my Dad will be pleased that he can get a good system for such a low price. He isn't one for cranking up the volume to get a loud blasting sound. The Yamaha 357 should be ideal for his small living room.

£119 for the 357 at Richer Sounds...

But what about speakers? Because power is not of the essence here, I guess the NSP 110 is good enough and keeps the total under £200.

Brendan

3. cooperg

cooperg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    This Sony is similar spec-wise to the Yamaha AV Package 57 -

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...ype=Overview&category=HCS+Cinema+Surround+Kit

A few differences - the sony has a passive woofer, the yamaha active so it uses 2 power sockets; the yamaha has 2 optical inputs versus 1 on the sony (both also have coaxial); the yamaha has 6 channel anologue input too if you need that (unlikely). The yamaha looks the better bet overall I think.