Budget 43 tv

newbie265

My parents tv has finally given up , they want 43 inch max due to space , they only use a freeview box/recorder , no sky, Netflix etc needed. They want it from John Lewis for a 5 year guarantee and a budget if 400 quid. The obvious ones are the three Samsung tvs , 7100, 8000 and 9000, there is also a Panasonic android.
I have a high end tv and sky so not well versed in freeview HD quality etc would the 9000 be the obvious choice ?

Gallifreyan

My parents asked me to choose theirs and they ended up with the Samsung 43" 7100 .

They watch through a Virgin box and are really happy.
It does look really good, bright and vibrant. People always go on about needing soundbars, but to my ears the speakers are fine.
Can't comment on Samsungs smart platform though.

newbie265

My parents asked me to choose theirs and they ended up with the Samsung 43" 7100 .

They watch through a Virgin box and are really happy.
It does look really good, bright and vibrant. People always go on about needing soundbars, but to my ears the speakers are fine.
Can't comment on Samsungs smart platform though.
Thanks , not sure if the 8000 or 9000 have any major benefits for their needs. They aren't interested in a soundbar, just want a really good picture for sd as well as HD.

Dodgexander

Check the table here for Samsung panel info: Lost in confusion....

Some sizes and some models may come with IPS panels rather than VA. Basing your purchase on the type of panel found on the TV is the most important differentiator, especially at this end of the market where so little separates picture quality otherwise.

Most people choose VA, but if you need good viewing angles you should choose IPS.

One thing to bear in mind is for HD and SD only watching a new TV won't be all that. You may just be better off buying a new HD model or keeping what you have to avoid upscaling.

Moved this thread to the correct section of the forum btw.

newbie265

Sorry about that , not been on the TV forum for years. What models are just HD , all seem to be UHD , nearly bought the 8000 but reviews say the viewing angle is terrible but not mentioned on the 9000 ( The 9000 is out of stock in JL and Richer Sounds) , would have thought they are the same. Their living room isn't very big but they sit at different angles so have a concern.

Dodgexander

This is why you have to be careful with Samsung models, and why I linked a post above that tells you which models can be IPS and which VA. Many can be both.
Typically when a review mentions viewing angles are bad its because the reviewed unit has a VA panel. But that doesn't mean the unit you buy will also come with that type of panel.
Size is important too, so check the chart.

There are still HD models available like this one from TCL: 40ES568 | TCL TV | ao.com

or this one from LG:

These will be more suited to watching poorer quality material, and aren't far off the overall quality of UHD models at 43" anyway.

If you have a working TV already, keep what you have and save up for 42" OLEDs that we hopefully see within the year.

If you decide on buying something UHD, you will probably have to avoid Samsung if you want good viewing angles as there's no TVs that for sure come with IPS at this size out of the box. Instead you need to look at 43" TVs from Sony or LG.

Countryside

Novice Member
This is the trouble my 11 year old 40 inch Samsung EH5000 is a lovely picture I just watch freeview HD will any new 43 inch tv be a better picture ?

Dodgexander

This is the trouble my 11 year old 40 inch Samsung EH5000 is a lovely picture I just watch freeview HD will any new 43 inch tv be a better picture ?
Freeview picture quality is general out of date, but should be fine on a newer model as long as you aren't viewing too close. Better? I'm not so sure, probably not.

Dodgexander

Providing the panels are the same. You also have to be careful with panel types. Check the table:

Its similar with Hisense, the 43" A6G is using a different panel from the A7G this year.

Countryside

Novice Member
The AU 9000 has a VA panel the 50 inch is on offer at Costco with 5 year guarantee from Monday for £349 that’s a bargain

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom