1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

budget 26/27" lcd recomendations and questions.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by carphone, May 15, 2005.

1. carphone

carphone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am looking for a budget lcd screen. Fantastic picture quality is not essetial (just need to save on space). The only feature I need is to be able to link the tv upto my computer. My research so far has shown me 3 possible options.

staples 26" at £444 pounds (went into my local store and although they dont look all that great the price is! see this thread for detals on the set
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185428

I am now thinking of purchasing the following package from tiny:
    http://homecinema.tiny.com/tv/lcd_screens/14745/37201/Tiny_LCD_TV27_Package

I have heard bad things about tiny on here and as a result i am a little worried about ordering through them and there long delivery times.

The only other set i like the look of is a 27" Logik at currys, which is now £599.

In making my selection I still need help with the following questions:

1) what are the advantages of 15:9/16:9 - which should i go for

2) Are 27" screens ok to go for (as opposed to the standard 26 or 28")

3) what is an rgb scart socket as opposed to a non rgb sockedt?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dan

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    1: Widescreen material is 16x9. Using a 15x9 screen results in either the image being too tall, or the extreme left and right edges being cropped off to a greater degree than the top and bottom, or very small black bars top and bottom on 16x9 material. Too tall is most likely. Go for 16x9 if possible.

2: Yes, subject to above. AFAIK, most 27 inchers are true 16x9; 26 are more likely to be 15x9. Not heard of any 28's.

3: In order of picture quality (worst first) your connections to other equipment (eg digibox, DVD etc) may be:
    - RF (aerial cable)
    - composite video
    - SVideo
    - RGB
    - Component
    SCART can carry all but the last, depending on how the cable is wired and the spec of the source and the TV. All need to be RGB capable to get the best PQ via SCART. There is a big difference step between composite and SVideo. Steps between the others are smaller, in some cases unnoticeable. An RGB SCART is an input capable of receiving RGB. A non-RGB SCART can't. Most TVs have at least one RGB SCART. If you want to get the best out of (say) both a DVD and a digibox, you may well want a set that has two.

There has been some very bad press elsewhere on this forum about a Tiny Plasma. You may want to take that into account.

3. carphone

carphone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you ever so much for your help.

I am now leaning towards the 27" logic, the spec is here:
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...-20090&sku=139024&page=Product&fm=3&sm=0&tm=0
    and is discussed on this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165173&highlight=logik
    at 599 seems very good.

But also mentioned is the sharp 26" model, it is a similar price on this site:
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SHA-LC26GA5E.htm

I would definitely like 2 scart sockets really, the sharp appears to have 2 scarts, but only one is rgb. Will this be a problem if i want to conect my dvd and digi box? Would both neeed rgb scarts?

Thanks again for your help

regards

Dan

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Need? No. You can always use a lesser signal type for one of the sources, but you may well see a difference, especially if the lesser signal is Composite.

However, if the second scart on your chosen TV is SVideo capable (you'll need to check the specs) and your additional source has an SVideo output, then at this screen size you may well not notice any degradation over RGB.

Personally, I'd be untrusting of the Logik. It's a Dixon$ (etc) own brand and most of their own brand stuff is overpriced and not up to much. Whereas Sharp is a true (and respected) manufacturer. I've seen the Logik in Dixon$ and wasn't hugely impressed by it's (non) ability to do black; this is a limitation of LCDs generally, but seemed noticeably worse in this set than in others.

5. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the Logik with a direct input from a dvd player... can't remember which dvd player or what connection... however the picture was awfull... Sharp are much better and I am myself moving in their direction at the moment.

6. carphone

carphone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice!! i have just been advised that the sharp screen linked above can not be linked to a PC. is that right?

thanks

Dan

7. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I managed to buy the last of the Phocus screens from my local Staples for £399.60 (they knocked 10% of as it was an ex display model). I am happy with the picture quality in comparison with the only other LCD I have owned which is a 17" DMTech. Everything in the manual and on screen menus suggests that it is a true 16:9 ratio widescreen and I have yet to notice any picture stretching or black bars.

For the money I don't think i could have done any better! :clap:

8. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I promise you as a proud owner of a Logik that with a little care and patience it can hold its own picture-wise with sets costing two or three times as much. It will, for example, pass all the Digital Video Essentials tests with flying colours. The weaknesses of the set are: (1) relatively wimpish sound (so what? all our serious viewing is via the home theatre sound system and the weak bass is fine for late night viewing when the kids are in bed); (2) a remote control that is s-l-o-w (again, so what? - as I don't suffer from attentional deficit disorder I don't channel hop); (3) it's 'only' 27" (again, so what? some of us have small rooms and/or have lives beyond television and when the TV is off we prefer the living room not to look like the saloon bar of the Slug and Lettuce). The 'true black' issue is I think something of a canard - under normal viewing conditions it's not an issue and only is obvious if you have a top end CRT set next to it - and that as far as I'm aware is not a normal situation.