buckets of bass?

brother of bass

Standard Member
Good evening,

Missed you all! Now this bucket idea, hoping the DIY section is suitable. I am still stuck with a trusty, rusty Gale 3080 I stuffed a bung up her 'bass port' and well she is worse than ever. Like a mother-in-law with a really deep and disturbing voice.

As you may tell from my first appearance on this marvel of a site seven months ago I have been busy researching. Spending a grand on bass warrants additional investigation right.

I caught the low register bug that bending of the furniture bass and still find the general size of boxes to produce this not so suited to domestic bliss, Yet still find myself deeply attracted to the mighty Monolith.

It could well be the case BK could receive the call in the future however a question to you other brothers of bass, bucket style bass drivers?

The principal of shifting copious amounts of air producing low frequencies and I see a correlation, allow me....

If it's my imagination please correct me, when I look at drivers I notice subs having a 'deep dish' style driver almost like a parabolic mirror hitting the lower frequencies. It got me thinking about bucket style drivers. Have you any knowledge of such bass drivers be it an experimental driver or fully built functioning device?

I ask simply because I see many advantages if it were possible give cylinder subs and bass tubes a whole new meaning.

I also concede to defeat regarding a possible new 'Holliman' infrasonic generator to be used as a coffee table. My research concluded after reading about infrasonic weapons and some threads on here also that it could indeed be a serious risk to ones well-being. If it were so and you had the generator in operation and rather innocently a hard low note be it feedback, electrical problems... I do believe serious damage could occur. Not only physical harm but also of a mental nature I am not sure I'd be happy surviving the 'Holliman' only to find my grey matter has become a muller fruit corner.

I look forward to hearing of any bucket drivers and other possible exotic driver options, thanks again for any advise.

Kind regards

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Things like aircraft in the real world deliver much more infrasonic spl's than anything in the home could hope to match, and you just fine, so horror stories about almighty all powerful subs are pretty exaggerated.

There is no 'bucket' style driver on the market I am aware of, and the depth of something like that would likely make it hideously impractical to implement into a system. I am not sure a bucket would even have any advantage over a normal driver. If you want high performance, use the largest best quality driver you can and go from there.

brother of bass

Standard Member
Cheers,

It was worth a punt, I see what you mean about aircraft currently having the MET Police buzzing me overhead in a helicopter.

I notice that your an avid Fi Q kinda guy could well be I say sod it and go the easy route with 2x18" in some simple sweet sealed boxes may consider covering them with dark mirrored tiles to hide any imperfections.

Going to have a sniff at some of these large drivers my real issue being I always pay cash in person so really need to find an outlet however as they say quality takes time lol

Kind regards

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
I use Fi and suggest them a lot simply because they are the only UK based supplier of high end drivers, that majority of which are all built in the US, which also happens to be where Fi are from. I used to use AE, but they are currently unable to produce the AV series woofers and dont make anything larger than a 15" driver.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom