Buchardt stands.....should I worry...

are these any good?

1650663871604.png

Not in your case, the surface area of the tripod tips is just too small.

You might use these to good effect if the tripod thingy is prone to slippage across the floor.

to be honest the conical rubber feet it came with do an excellent job at anchoring it, they very grippy!
I’m pleased you’re happy with the speakers. It’s always a bit dubious recommending something as much to do with personal taste as speakers.

But they do very much seem to do everything right 👍
they put a smile on my stupid face every time I turn them on, the soundstage is almost holographic, I can't believe my ears.
I'm only having a tiny problem the bass being a bit too unclean/resonant when playing some specific tracks - definitely due to the speakers arrangement and room - but that's for a separate thread! :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The gel pads will certainly help isolate the speakers from the stand. But they won’t stick them down (obviously 👍).

I’m very surprised you have any resonance 😳 even if it is a tiny bit. There should be zero resonance in even very cheap new speakers.

It may be that the gel pads will cure it if it is a mismatch between stand and speakers. Certainly blutack will once hardened.

But you may just need higher mass stands.

The gel pads will certainly help isolate the speakers from the stand. But they won’t stick them down (obviously 👍).

I’m very surprised you have any resonance 😳 even if it is a tiny bit. There should be zero resonance in even very cheap new speakers.

It may be that the gel pads will cure it if it is a mismatch between stand and speakers. Certainly blutack will once hardened.

But you may just need higher mass stands
I might be using the wrong word....what I mean is the low frequencies seem to fill up my room to the point of making it unpleasant to the ears :)
That`s very noticeable on higher volume, the mid and highs stay clear but the very low deep bass builds up pressure in my ears and muddles up with the mid bass.
At low volume none of that happens, the sound is so balanced.
Could my room be too small for the speakers?

Using a bit of blue-tac, or similar adhesive stiffens the whole thing nicely. Also, it can be removed easily when the need arises.

On the Darko Audio review of the MKII speakers, he said Buchardt had sent along some cymbal dampeners for the stands, which I think are something like this .

Edit - @PlasmaNewbie beat me to it as I was cropping the YT video 🤣

@Italian Job ive watched a few reviews of the new Buchardt speakers recently and they've been supplying oval gel pads with them to go between speaker and stand to provide isolation between them - a commenter said they're called Skygel drum damper pads and drummers use them to attenuate drums/cymbals etc; they introduce a bit of wobble to the speakers whilst the stand remains solid, supposedly stops the speakers interacting with the room via the stands as they're isolated (makes sense to me given Isoaccoustics' attempt a similar type of speaker isolation with their rather pricy speaker isolation feet)

£7.50 for 8 - SkyGel Dampner Pads Onyx Black 8 Pack

@stevoknevo @PlasmaNewbie yes I did find them in the box but I couldn't use them,
the R3 are twice as heavy as the 400s plus the reduced size of the stand top plate made the set up feel very unstable.
The speaker would wiggle around 1 inch in every direction.....I didnt trust it enough :)
But I see these working amazingly on a smaller speaker or at least on a stand with a top plate big as the speaker footprint.

@stevoknevo @PlasmaNewbie yes I did find them in the box

I didn’t realise that they came as standard, from the clip (as @stevoknevo helpfully posted), it appeared the reviewer had been sent them personally, i‘m sure that wasn’t the intention, it’s just how I read it :)

looking at your photo from the OP , they do look good on the Buchardt stands. Very organic compared to the Kef S2 stands. I didn’t realise that the R3’s are so heavy, that’s a lot of speaker for the money. No wonder they sound so good…

I might be using the wrong word....what I mean is the low frequencies seem to fill up my room to the point of making it unpleasant to the ears :)
That`s very noticeable on higher volume, the mid and highs stay clear but the very low deep bass builds up pressure in my ears and muddles up with the mid bass.
That sounds like you have some large bass modes in the room causing certain frequencies (bass) to sound overblown, slow and muddy. An amplifier with room correction (eg Lyngdorf) may be worth looking and adjusting the position of the loudspeakers and seating position to see if you can mitigate this in the meantime.

Best, Tom

That sounds like an issue with acoustics. Rooms have mods, that are causing interference:
Interference can be destructive (no bass in a certain place), or constructive (lots of bass in a certain place).
It's clear as day, that you are experiencing the constructive mod just where you are sitting. Why is it okay at low volumes? Because at low volumes that bump in low bass works just like loudness. It compensates for our worse ability to hear low bass at low volumes.
If you want to tackle this issue, you need to familiarise yourself with a bit of acoustics.

@Tom @ Cinehome I couldn't have explained it better, exactly that!
The room I have the speakers in at the moment is a problematic one, first is not the biggest just 4m X 4m which will be ok if you was a square room.
It's a square but I have a bay window and a fireplace and these create a few alcoves on 2 walls.
Also I recently switch to WFH and I have my workstation in that room, the desk isn't big but I had to push the speakers to one side so the placement is slightly asymmetrical but aligned with the bay window.
I'll post the floor plan so you can take a look and perhaps suggest a solution.
Given the multiple problems I'm dealing with I don't expect a perfect solution but perhaps a better speaker placement with a few panels could mitigate the reverb?
@iFi audio thanks for that link! Very interesting and scary at the same time.😅
I couldn't agree more about the loudness effect I'm getting, even at very low volume the bass is still there very present, but then it becomes dreadful at higher levels.
I would love to get to know a bit more and try to tackle this issue.

Sorry for the crude sketch, I had forgotten how hard it is to draw with the mouse.
plan.jpg

I tried having the speakers closer together and seating 1m away from the back wall and it sounded sweat but the stage shrunk too much.
As I explained earlier it sounds amazing at normal volume as I have now, I could push the couch a little away from the wall and install some panels?
Also, the windows have only cloth roller blinds at the moment, but even just that seems to make quite a difference when I roll them all the way down.
Any suggestions for improvement are more than welcome!

@Tom @ Cinehome I couldn't have explained it better, exactly that!
The room I have the speakers in at the moment is a problematic one, first is not the biggest just 4m X 4m which will be ok if you was a square room.
It's a square but I have a bay window and a fireplace and these create a few alcoves on 2 walls.
Also I recently switch to WFH and I have my workstation in that room, the desk isn't big but I had to push the speakers to one side so the placement is slightly asymmetrical but aligned with the bay window.
I'll post the floor plan so you can take a look and perhaps suggest a solution.
Given the multiple problems I'm dealing with I don't expect a perfect solution but perhaps a better speaker placement with a few panels could mitigate the reverb?
@iFi audio thanks for that link! Very interesting and scary at the same time.😅
I couldn't agree more about the loudness effect I'm getting, even at very low volume the bass is still there very present, but then it becomes dreadful at higher levels.
I would love to get to know a bit more and try to tackle this issue.
You're in a tough spot. Square rooms are the hardest to set up in. It's that shape that causes the biggest mods. Since it's a small room I would try to move the couch forward by 10" segments. That should give you the ability to pinpoint the best spot to seat.
Have you considered acoustic room treatment? It would help with both bass and spaciousness.

I would try to move the couch forward by 10" segments
I'll try that thanks
Have you considered acoustic room treatment? It would help with both bass and spaciousness
Absolutely, that would be my next upgrade for sure.
I'd be more keen on treating the room and spend money on a new amplifier.
What should I start with?
I'm gonna buy a rug soon, also the walls are bare, I can hang panels wherever is needed.
What do you suggest doing as a first step?

Have you got the bungs in? As these will tame the bass a little especially if close to a wall

I'll try that thanks

Absolutely, that would be my next upgrade for sure.
I'd be more keen on treating the room and spend money on a new amplifier.
What should I start with?
I'm gonna buy a rug soon, also the walls are bare, I can hang panels wherever is needed.
What do you suggest doing as a first step?
I would start with acoustics before getting a new amp.
Carpet is a great idea.
1. Start with the couch, to find the best bass response
2. Sit on the couch as you would during the listening session. Ask someone to hold a mirror and move along the sidewall. When you can see the speaker in the middle of the mirror that's your most important reflection for this side. Place a panel there, start with an absorber, since you have a small room. Do the same for the other side.
3. Put a panel behind your head.

That should take care of the worst offenders. If you can, use thick 4" absorbing panels as they have the widest frequency range.

Have you got the bungs in? As these will tame the bass a little especially if close to a wall
Hey I did and they seems to cut off only the lowest frequencies, the sub like frequencies 👍
I would start with acoustics before getting a new amp.
Carpet is a great idea.
1. Start with the couch, to find the best bass response
2. Sit on the couch as you would during the listening session. Ask someone to hold a mirror and move along the sidewall. When you can see the speaker in the middle of the mirror that's your most important reflection for this side. Place a panel there, start with an absorber, since you have a small room. Do the same for the other side.
3. Put a panel behind your head.

That should take care of the worst offenders. If you can, use thick 4" absorbing panels as they have the widest frequency range.
That's great and very feaseble.
I see all I need to stop are the waves coming right at me, at least as a start.
I'll get the rug and 3 panels and I'll go from there.
I had a quick look at the panels, is that the types you're suggesting?

Thanks again for your help!

That's great and very feaseble.
I see all I need to stop are the waves coming right at me, at least as a start.
I'll get the rug and 3 panels and I'll go from there.
I had a quick look at the panels, is that the types you're suggesting?
Yes, those are your basic absorbers. You can also try mixing in a diffuser behind your head (hard to tell what will be the perfect setup for your room).
It would be best to take your time and play around with them.

I like them too!
What about sandwiching one diffuser between 2 absorbers? maybe it's better to favour absorbers to put behind my heed.

I messed with absorbers years ago before getting thoroughly sick of the random effect they have and moved to room correction Dsp.

It’s impossible to get room treatment to work even a bit effectively without maths and a good knowledge of the theory of the thing along with a perversely patient nature and a useful knowledge of the properties of the different types of material and which frequencies are absorbed (and, crucially, by how much) by each material and each thickness of material.

It’s a horror show. 😩

It’s a horror show. 😩
I hear you but I only need to tone down a bit of echo, I won't go mental, just a fluffy rug and a couple of panels.
I think I'll be fine even if I lose a bit of trebles, right now when I get close to 50% volume the bass is overwhelming, it could be used as a new form of torture in Guantanamo Bay.

I like them too!
What about sandwiching one diffuser between 2 absorbers? maybe it's better to favour absorbers to put behind my heed.
I would rather keep the same type on each wall. So for example diffusers on sidewalls and an absorber behind your head.

I messed with absorbers years ago before getting thoroughly sick of the random effect they have and moved to room correction Dsp.

It’s impossible to get room treatment to work even a bit effectively without maths and a good knowledge of the theory of the thing along with a perversely patient nature and a useful knowledge of the properties of the different types of material and which frequencies are absorbed (and, crucially, by how much) by each material and each thickness of material.

It’s a horror show. 😩
I agree that DSP is a great tool for problems with bass mods. It can really make life easier. I would like to point out that even the best DSP won't help with echo/reverberation. That needs some acoustic treatment to be taken care of. That doesn't have to be panels like we are talking about with @Italian Job. Sometimes just having stuff in your living room can help tremendously. Like bookshelves, paintings, couches and other types of furniture. Addressing first reflections usually gets around 75% of acoustic done. In a perfect world, one would mix both methods to get the best result.

I hear you but I only need to tone down a bit of echo, I won't go mental, just a fluffy rug and a couple of panels.
I think I'll be fine even if I lose a bit of trebles, right now when I get close to 50% volume the bass is overwhelming, it could be used as a new form of torture in Guantanamo Bay.
I would rather have not enough treatment than too much. If you overdo it the sound gets lifeless.
If you want to, try Roon. It has a DSP built-in, that you can play around with. It should be able to help you with the bass. Use a notch filter setting and sweep the frequencies when listening to the music. You should hear where the effect is the best.

Generally a wool rug with a bit of felt underlay does the best job.

As big as you’re happy to fit in.

Not cheap as a rule, although the felt underlay is, but wool is a good absorber. 👍

If you want to, try Roon.
I've checked it out on youtube, smart but I'll save that for a rainy day thanks!
I'm wondering if it'd be better to defuse or absorb behind my head.
Not cheap as a rule, although the felt underlay is, but wool is a good absorber. 👍
Yes they aren't cheap at all, it'll cost me more than my amp 😂 but it's for life.
By felt underlay you mean that type of underlay that usually goes under the carpet?

That looks like a good sound absorbing material, thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom