BTVision and Homeplugs

drmc09

Standard Member
Hello,

I am trying to understand why BT are charging me for going over the download limit - as i have not completed many downloads, especially since the download rate zapped down to about 7kb/s....

On checking my hub manager i can see 4 (wired) connected devices.
One belongs to a MAC.. and the other 3 im not too sure.

BT Vision is downstairs and linked to the HUB (upstairs) via some Home Plugs..

Am i right in thinking the 3 connected devices are;

1. the homeplug in the wall upstairs (connected to the router)
2. the homeplug connected downstairs
3. the bt vision box

Number 2 and 3 have very similar mac addresses.. the 1st one doesnt...

??

Many Thanks

beerhunter

Novice Member
First of all remember that EVERYTHING counts against your allowance, except BT Vision (BT BB Talk may not count as well.) not just downloads.

If you have the BT supplied Powerline Adapters they are not HomePlugs. HomePlugs as such should not show up on Hub Manager. (Not sure about the Comtrend Adapters supplied by BT.) You can find out if the two Comtrend Adapters are on the list by reading their MAC addresses on their labels.

The BT Vision box will have a name something like RM1400.

Why are you worried about them?

drmc09

Standard Member
im worried because the BT bill is high and wondering if there is anything connected (that i dont know of) to the broadband.

you are correct.. the plugs are comtrend. so i will tie the MAC addresses together of those..

Would the BT Vision have a MAC address?

beerhunter

Novice Member
1. im worried because the BT bill is high and wondering if there is anything connected (that i dont know of) to the broadband.

2. Would the BT Vision have a MAC address?
1. In order for someone to steal your bandwidth they would need to find a way of sneaking a wire into our dwelling and connecting it to your BT Home Hub. Connecting via WiFi is in theory easier but in the case of a BT Home Hub 2.0 the miscreant would need to be able to crack its WPA2 encryption - and those who can, NSA/GCHQ, don't need to steal bandwidth. :)

2. Yes and an IP Address, that's how it 'talks' to your LAN and thus BT's Network.

Last edited:

Stanman

The comntrend plugs will have very similar mac addys and will show up in your router IP addy table.

1. In order for someone to steal your bandwidth they would need to find a way of sneaking a wire into our dwelling and connecting it to your BT Home Hub. Connecting via WiFi is in theory easier but in the case of a BT Home Hub 2.0 the miscreant would need to be able to crack its WPA2 encryption - and those who can, NSC/GCHQ, don't need to steal bandwidth. :)

It's possible that the OP has changed the wireless security to WEP, which is much weaker than WPA/WPA2, or maybe he has set a very weak password. It's also possible the OP is using a BT Home Hub V1 (it wasn't stated at all), with no wireless security activated at all. So it is entirely possible someone may actually be stealing his bandwidth over wireless. Other than that maybe someone else in the house is downloading to their PC.

beerhunter

Novice Member
It's also possible the OP is using a BT Home Hub V1 (it wasn't stated at all), with no wireless security activated at all.
All BT HHs have encryption (1.0/1.5 WEP and 2.0 WPA2) enabled by default.

I have assumed that the OP does not have the knowledge/skills to turn encryption off.

drmc09

Standard Member
The comntrend plugs will have very similar mac addys and will show up in your router IP addy table.

2 of the 3 have similar IP addresses... I thought these would be the comtrend plug downstairs and the BT Vision box, because when i turned the comtrend plug (downstairs) off at the wall, IP addresses were not connected.

The other IP address is different, and im thinking this is the comtrend plug upstairs..

Im more concerned that someone else hasnt plugged another comtrend plug in and is using my broadband.

??

beerhunter

Novice Member
Im more concerned that someone else hasnt plugged another comtrend plug in and is using my broadband.
They won't get past your meter. That "someone else" would also need to 'pair' with your adapters.

The way that MAC Addressing works is that the IEEE register the manufacture of the Network Device using the first three pairs of hex numbers. e.g. In the case RR-RR-RR-XX-XX-XX the three pairs RR represent the manufacturer.

In your case, you should only have two devices in which the first three pairs are identical - i.e. Comtrend.

Last edited:

Stanman

2 of the 3 have similar IP addresses... I thought these would be the comtrend plug downstairs and the BT Vision box, because when i turned the comtrend plug (downstairs) off at the wall, IP addresses were not connected.

The other IP address is different, and im thinking this is the comtrend plug upstairs..

??

As mentioned above, for some to use your comtrend network the other plug would need to be plugged into your electrical circuit and if it had been you would have found it by now?
Also each adapter has its own network ID and if this does not match yours it will not work. You can pair adapters via the button but I always find it easier to do it via the network interface.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom