BTTF trilogy....part 2..quite ironic...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jonnyv, Aug 19, 2002.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just got my back to the future trilogy from cd wow, i am very happy..just 2 days to get it and only £17.99 !

I have just watched part one, and its as good as i remember.

But did anyone notice in part 2, where they arrive in the future, they park the time machine down an alley, just to the right on the loading dock are bundles of laserdiscs ! look like there due to be collected by the trash men.

I remember watching part 2 on laserdisc and i wondered if and when laserdiscs would become useless, quite ironic that i am watching the trilogy on dvd now 14 years since part 2 and my laserdisc version has long since gone !

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    Noticed something else last night.

I had BTTF on Betamax (!) and later on NTSC Laserdisc. Both of these versions had, right at the very end, before the titles, a logo splash "to be continued" (or similar).

It always occurred to me that this was a later addition (eg to home videos only) because, when it was originally made, there wasn't any promise of a sequel. The sequels only arose after the success of the first.

This splash isn't present on the R4 DVD. It seems it has reverted to its' "original version" - which is probably a Good Thing.

3. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    yeah if you watch the documentary on the discs they talk about no sequels being planned and how they regretted puting jennifer in the car at the end of the first part as it restricted what they could do in the sequel.

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Do the extras on episode one include any of the abandoned material with Eric Stolz? That would be fascinating to see.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They were promised at one stage. I haven't watched my set yet but I'll let you know.

Dosen't sound right does it BACK TO THE FUTURE STARRING ERIC STOLZ AS MARTY MCFLY

6. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    it shows some photos of eric stolz but no footage they talk about them recasting it

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Thanks for the info. I've only ever seen one pic of Stolz in the role (in the car park with the Doc) so more stills will be interesting, even if there's no footage.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

8. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    its the same stills on the dvd

9. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What was the story behind the recasting does anyone know. So the film was already in production, this is all news to me and I find it fascinating.

10. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    As I understand it, Eric Stolz was cast as Marty, but when filming started the producers and/or the director decided that he wasn't coming over in the way they wanted - so he was sacked and all his scenes redone once Michael J Fox was cast.

This happens more often than you might imagine.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

11. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Bert.

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Michael J Fox, he was doing Family Ties and BTTF at the same time!! He was getting 1 or 2 hours sleep a day but realised how privelaged he was to be in that position so why moan about it. It did take it out of him though, physically and emotionally.

13. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something similar happened on The Untouchables. Bob Hoskins was to have played Al Capone but when DeNiro became available, they paid Mr Hoskins half a million quid for the inconvenience, even though he hadnt started filming.

Nice work if you can get it

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Indeed. I heard that they originally started shooting The Terminator with Woody Allen playing the part, instead of Arnie. However' he was changed as they felt he just wasn't convincing :(

15. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Perhaps even less well publicised than Woody Allen's terminally depressed Terminator is the fact that The Fellowship of the Ring started out with one Aragorn and finished with another.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so you've read Lucky Man too? one of the best autobiographies I've read.

Terminator was written with OJ in mind

Stuart Townsend filmed a fair bit as Aragorn but it was decided he wasn't right for the role. As for Eric Stolz, he shot about six weeks of BTTF before it was decided he wasn't right for the role (IMHO he's a bit too weird to have the audience relate to him as a heroic lead) so Mike Fox was asked to reshoot his scenes, they used a lot of existing footage and fitted in close-up footage of Fox in editing. Fox was Spielberg's original choice but the producers of Family Ties refused to release him for it, but when a second chance arose the Family Ties producer (close friend of Spielberg's) decided they couldn't deny him the opportunity to break into big movies.

17. Raoul

Raoul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understood it the Cameron's original casting concept was Lance Henrikson; he mentions this in one of the DVD extras.

Unless you're referring to the Sarah Connor role of course; that would have made for a rather different movie :D

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main thing I noticed in BTTF Pt 2 was the really bad layer change - it was right in the middle of the scene where OAP Biff is hiding behind the tree, waiting for his moment to approach Young Biff :mad:

BTTF Pt 1 had a good layer change at the opening of the scene featuring the clock tower, so I hope BTTF Pt 3 will not have a cack layer change as well :rolleyes:

19. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That could also be down to the speed of your laser, didn't notice it on mine, must have a tuned up model.

Some of the changes are bad I grant you that , but that's down to the guys that do the transfers I think, some of them haven't enough brains to give themselves a headache. :D

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always notice layer changes. They're usually very brief on my player (< 1 sec), but I still always notice them. BTTF Pt 2's layer change wasn't lengthier than normal, just located badly. I just thought it was a really dumb place to put it. :(

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hadn't heard that one but I definitely heard Cameron say the part was originally written for OJ but when they got round to casting they felt audiences wouldn't be able to accept OJ as a cold blooded killer!!!:D :eek: :eek: :D

22. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well thats about right as a jury didn't think that either.:D