Btinternet.com email being closed

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by eob, Aug 30, 2013.

1. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Is this happening to anyone else?
    Received the emails on my main and sub accounts saying that as of the 16 Sept, they were being closed.
    I'm not using BT for broadband any more dues to the terrible customer services and slow speeds.

The options are sign back up to BT broadband or sign up for premium email or lose the account.
    The last option is a bit of a pain, as I viewed this as my 'email for life' and have used it to sign up for everything.
    I can see why they are doing this, it's basically to raise revenue. The premium email account is £1.60 a month.
    I had a look at getting a domain name and using a web hosting service and this option is a lot more expensive than the BT one.

I called up to ask some questions such as "Can anyone ever reuse my email addy?", "If I change my mind, can I reuse my email addy?" "Is there a minimum contract?" Etc etc.

The guy on the phone reminded me that I had been using the free email service for a couple of years now and launched into a rehearsed speed and I stopped him and reminded him that when I had BT BB, the online email portal was ad free. as soon as I left, the portal and login changed and had streamed ads, so that was in fact where the revenue stream came from.
    I could tell that had him stumped because he didn't have anything in his script to deal with that one.

I'm starting to resign my self to the fact that ill probably end up signing up for the premium email and just hiding a direct debit at the back of the bank account, because its just too much hassle to change email addresses (AVF classifieds T&Cs for example state no disposable email addresses) but it still annoys me somewhat that this is a kind of legalised for of extortion.

Anyone else leaving or signing up?

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    You have had a free email service for some time from an ISP to whom you are no longer a customer. Frankly what do you expect? Some ISPs close the email service on the day that you leave.

BTW I still have BT Business email ID in use even having left BT Business Broadband in 2004.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  3. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    I have three email addresses and my website hosted by Virgin who I left 2 houses and three isps ago. I guess they take the long view that one day I might come back.

4. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    When I was with BT, it was mooted as an email for life.
    When I left BT, it switched to the free mail with ads, just like hotmail et al.
    I expected them to keep their freemail service running, not force me to sign up for premium mail or lose said addresses.

5. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    **Update**
    I called BT again to confirm something and the call handler apologised and told me to disregard these and any future emails regarding this subject.
    Looks like a computer glitch.