BT332 brackets not suitable for Quad L-ite. Suitable alternative needed.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chris2922, Jan 10, 2008.

1. chris2922

chris2922

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've bought a set of Quad L-ites with the intention of wall mounting them.

When i ordered them from www.hifisuppliers.co.uk i asked about wall brackets - and mentioned i was worried about wall mounting them as they were so heavy.

I was assured that B-Tech BT332 brackets would be fine, and that HiFiSuppliers had used them in numerous installs with no problems. Great - so i paid £40 for them and added them to the order.
    Should have checked Amazons price, but there you go.

Having finally got to the point where my lounge is ready and i need to mount the speakers i need to say - THEY ARE NOT SUITABLE AT ALL.

First off - the Quads have one mounting hole on the back (see speaker_back.jpg) and the 332's have a dual mounting plate. Worst still, when the plate is positioned the redundant of the two holes covers the air hole on the back of the speaker which isnt flush with the wood - so you dont get a flat fixing.
    Never mind, a bit of work in the garage and we have a modified mounting plate that doesnt cover the air hole (see bracket_modded.jpg)
    If you are wondering why i didnt use the bracket without the mounting plate, it was because the bracket fits to the mounting plate with a grip that would damage the speaker if it was fixed to it directly, and leave 4 indentations in the wood - or possibly worse. Simply not an option.
    Even with this mod though, the speaker moves under the bracket very easily with the one fixing holding it on.

Second - the 'knuckle' of the speaker that can be slackened off to allow you to point it is simply not a strong enough design to support such a heavy speaker. The speakers pictured in the instructions are tiny - clearly what this was designed to support. The knuckle has nothing to grip it - just the tighness of the screw - and this cant be tightened enough to prevent movement with a speaker as heavy as the Quad on the end.

In short - these are totally unsuitable and im ****** off to say the least.

The point of this post (other than to 'Vent') is to hopefully warn prespective Quad L-ite owners off the BT332s, but also to find out what i should be using instead.

I cant blame HiFiSuppliers exclusively. I also asked 'MusicMatters' to make sure before buying and they said BT332s as well.

Quad must have had a plan when the only put one speaker fixing hole on the back of such a big heavy satelite. Im presuming there is a bracket out there that holds and supports these speakers without damaging their superb finish or looking ugly.

Please help guys - i want to finish my lounge and try them out with my new Onkyo 605, and keeping them boxed is torture!

Attached Files:

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
  3. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    My sympathies to you sir. I nearly bought these (or very similar) from another web site that said that they were recommended by Quad. I have my doubts that they were.

My Lites were also from HiFi suppliers and they all have 3 mounting holes apart from 1, which is a replacement because of a faulty bass driver in the original.

Anyway, there are a few others around but i have mine on Btech BT77.

http://www.avbracket.co.uk/product_64-2-2_BT77B-B-Tech-Side-Clamp-Speaker-Mount---Pair.htm

Just over £40 delivered for 2 pairs.

They are just shorter than the Lites and can actually hold up to 25kg (i.e. the weight but not the size of the lite sub:eek:). This seems like overkill but they are held well, they swivel and can dip, raise slightly via an easy adjustment and actually look great in black with the black lites.

HTH

4. chris2922

chris2922

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yours have more than 1 mounting hole?! Im surprised they arent all the same. Perhaps Quad took a lot of flac for their mounting options and improved the situation. Either way - im stuck with 1 per speaker.

Im going to ring Quad and ask about those brackets - surely they'll do the job. They are designed to fit afterall.

They also do look similar to those Mission ones. Thanks for the info.
    Ill post back with how i get on - maybe get some info on how to get Quad brackets.

Otherwise, those side clamping BTechs look like a better idea than the BT332s. Pitiful brackets for the job.

5. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    A couple of additional things that i like about the side clamping speakers

the sponge isn't pre attached to the sides so i could cut it down and also have smaller sponges below the speakers too.

they tilt from the bottom rather than the top so there is no way the speaker will touch the wall.

6. chris2922

chris2922

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    'sponge'? Is this inside the clamp to prevent damage to the speakers?

7. drashp

drashp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  8. GaryClough

GaryClough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was really interested in this thread as i have my Black Quad Lites due to be delivered next week and I had already purchased my B-Tech BT332 brackets (cheaply of ebay though, I didn't pay the rip off dealer prices).

Anyway, I rang Quad today (IAG as the UK company is called). They were not aware that this bracket covers the rear port and is still the official bracket they recommend ! I suppose you could put the plate horizontaly not vertically and this would avoid interfering with the port, but it would not be as strong a fixture.

Quad also recomend the mission bracket as shown in the following link..

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1646

I haven't seen them so can't comment, but it is the one they show on their web site. Does anyone have any experience of this bracket?

Cheers

9. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    They come as self adhesive 'pads' as the the the whole unit is made of metal. They do the job nicely.

10. chris2922

chris2922

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ordered a pair (not 2 pairs yet, im being cautious now) of Mission M30 brackets after Anne at IAGUK.COM said "I am assured that they do fit" and that they are the brackets featured on the Quad website (link a few posts up).

Have a look at my pictures. Yes, i can make them work, but do they actually fit properly? No, they dont. £599 for a speaker system and the brackets shown on the website and recommended by Quad themselves dont actually fit properly.

I have now given up trying to find a bracket Quad actually had in mind when they drilled a single fixing hole on the back of my L-ites. The Mission will have to do. Even if they do have to be put on wonky as shown in speaker_fixing3.jpg.

Im really annoyed with Quad now - and they have no forum to take complaints or offer technical support - just a website without contact details and the email address mentioned above.

Attached Files:

11. drashp

drashp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Can't see very well from the photos how the bracket works, but in photos 3 and 4 it looks like you're trying to mount the silver thing with the longer dimension vertical, whereas photo 2 seems to indicate it would fit if it were mounted horizontally.

I'm in the same boat - the Vogels are ok just not great. They only give 60mm of clearance from the wall (B-Tecs give 70mm ish) so it's tight with banana plugs fitted, plus they bow under the weight of the L-ite no matter how much I tighten them. I'm now debating on putting up some shelves for them to sit on - one long one would help hide the wire which I could then trunk down in the corner of the wall.

12. chris2922

chris2922

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nah, you cant mount the M33 bracket horizontally to a 1 hole speaker, as the central hole you can see in the middle of the fixing is for the wall-plate to fit to it. Its designed for a 2 hole speaker, not a 1 hole like the L-ites i have.

What i have had to do is get a junior hacksaw on the bracket and create 2 channels for the raised rubber sleve the covers the air hole to run through - thus giving me a flat fixing without having to mount the bracket 'on the ****'.

I cant screw the second hole in the bracket to the speaker as there isnt a hole to screw to, but the holes either side of the rubber sleve do give some support - in a 'I shouldnt have to do this quad, you bunch of ******s' kind of way.

Someone should have their ass handed to them at Quad over this crap, but as they dont have any 'front end' to their business i doubt anyone will.

Anyway, in case it helps anyone else ive taken some more pictures...

Attached Files:

13. drashp

drashp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Makes sense now. Must be blind a Quad house recommending that :rolleyes:

14. guestlinger

guestlinger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  15. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

I know i've said this before but i second this statement. These are a great way to mount the lites and many other speakers.

That's a good price too. I paid £40 for 2 pairs delivered.

16. guestlinger

guestlinger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The £15 excludes VAT so its nearer £17 per pair inc VAT. Still a fair price though

17. wonderboy

wonderboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    How can £15.00 be a rip off price? At the most they could make is £15.00, hardly ripping someone off?

Probably make half that at the most, maybe less?

How much do you expect them to make? £1.50

Shops will not be here one day, and it will because of attitudes towards them like you.

18. GaryClough

GaryClough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you are being a bit harsh, you need to know the facts before having a pop at people. I went to the dealer first but he couldn't get me the L-ites in balck which the ebay dealer could, then he wanted double, yes a 100% price increase for the brackets over what I could get them delivered for on ebay.

I have always supported local businesses and value good customer service, but there is also a principle and double the cost is not acceptable. If he could have supplied the speakers then I would have also probably get the brackets at the same time, but no speakers = no overpriced brackets.

Also not everybody may have your level of disposable income. A family of 4 with a single income means that all purchases have to be carefully considered and saved up for. Value for money is important, not everyone can afford the level of spends some people on this forum can. If you can afford the latest kit at retail prices then great, but dont expect everyone to be in the same position.

19. wonderboy

wonderboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I can't afford all the kit at retail prices. Mine is mainly made up of second hand equipment, but I dont accuse shops of having rip off prices.

We all work to earn money, be that self employed, or employed. And if employed do we know how much profit our bosses make?

And we spend alot more of our money at shops/outlets etc each week who probably make much bigger profit margin than they do in your local hifi shop!

Next, New Look etc, even a pint of beer for example!

20. M0nkeyb0Y

M0nkeyb0Y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    to get this thread back on track - has anyone actually found brackets for the quads that aren't the side clamping ones?

21. matt120

matt120
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stumbled across this thread whilst looking for speaker brackets formy new shiny black Quad L-ites.

I know the issues people have been having with BT33/2 s but was wondering if anyone had looked at the the BT55's http://www.btech-usa.com/bt55dim.htm These can take almost double the weight of the 33's and from the drawing it looks like the single threaded mounting point is a lot flusher than the curved one on the 33's.

Anyone had any experience of these brackets? Can't seem to find anyone in the UK that sells them.

22. chris2922

chris2922

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive been in touch with Quad and have some info to share.

Ive been told that my speakers "very obviously have the incorrect
    fixing holes on the back" and that "If you would let me arrange collection I will
    send you a new (set) and your Mission brackets will fit perfectly."

I have already cut up my Mission M30 brackets though so im not sure if i want some speakers with different fixing holes now.

To be clear: Does Anyone Have Quad L-ites With TWO Fixing Holes On The Back?

The box mine came in even has a picture on it with 1 fixing hole - and then on the other side they ae mounted on stands (with no clamps). Therefore i cant see that its a manufacturing fault.

Im not sure i can hold off on getting the damn things up on the walls now - especially as my modded brackets do a reasonable job. I responded to Quad a week ago tomorrow (13th) and haven't heard from them again.

They really are crap.

23. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    No, all mine have three apart from the 1 speaker that i returned to HiFi suppliers because of a faulty driver. That one has one.

To add to your point about Quad not getting back to you, I've hardly ever had a reply from a manufacturer when I've posed a question (20 ish sent). Apart from Alphason, who were really good (reply with 24 hrs) and Monitor Audio who were pretty slack (2 weeks)

24. Sleepy

Sleepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    all mine have one hole, got them about 2 weeks ago

Have you tried the b-tech bt77 brackets (side clamped on) got them for mine (although not fitted yet)

here is a pic i found

[​IMG]

25. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Man that's some monstrous looking bracket!
    It's bigger than the bloody speaker.:eek:

26. Angus02

Angus02
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got mine a week ago and they only have one hole as well.

Will not be setting them up for another few weeks so still looking for brackets for the rear.

BT77 - Dont think so :nono:I would be sleeping in the garage if I tried to put them up in the living room.

Chris how secure are the M30's as I don't mind modding them a bit ?

These seem to be the only choice atm :(

27. GaryClough

GaryClough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I finally got my quads a couple of weeks ago and all mine only had a single mounting hole as well.

I had already purchased the BT332 brackets before Chris posted the examples showing they did not fit and he is absolutely right. It is incredible that quad can recommend this bracket when it would clearly damage the rear port of the speakers if fitted as standard.

I followed Chris's example and used a hacksaw to shorten the plate which fits at the rear of the speaker and they worked OK.

However a second problem exists which is the weight of the speaker is really too much for the small ball joint. It does hold it, but you really have to tighten the locking screw really tight to make sure it doesnt move. I did put a failsafe in, I wanted the speakers to point slightly downwards towards the seating position. By using bannana plugs at the back and setting a slightly downward angle, the bannana plugs rest against the wall and make the speakers more secure. This seams to work well for me, but depends on high up the wall you want to mout them.

So whilst they are not ideal, I do quit like the BT332 bracket as they are invisible from the front of the speaker and give a clean finish to the installation.

Pictures of installation (sorry about the quality, they look rubbish when downsizing them)...

The first picture is an example of satellite speaker at downward angle where the bannana plugs rest against the wall. From the front you get a nice clean installation.

The second shows what the bracket mount looks like from the side. This may be important depending on the shape of your room (i.e. can you see the rear of the speaker as you walk around).

The third picture is how I mounted the front speaker. It is suprisingly deep, especially with bannana plugs in, so not really suitable for wall mounting under a plasma, hence the shelf in the chimney breast. The wire is not installed yet. I still need to drill a hole through the chimney breast to hide the cable (600mm drill needed !!!!)

I think there was another thread recently where someone felt they were too big to be WAF friendly. I think the 4th picture shows the scale and that it can be clean if you install them correctly.

Hope someone finds them usefull.

Cheers

Attached Files:

28. GaryClough

GaryClough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    just to let you know I have added the pictures to the previous message as promised....

29. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    You've made a cracking job there and they look really neat. The brackets might not be the best but at least they look good. :smashin:
    I still can't get over that monstrosity attached to the speaker in the picture earlier in the thread. :eek: :rotfl:

30. chris2922

chris2922

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Here is a picture Quad sent me in the week when i asked them to prove to me that i "very obviously have the incorrect fixing holes on the back".

Seems i do! Thing is, the picture on the cardboard box shows only 1 fixing hole - even on the woofer box - the same picture.

Looks like the 1 hole speakers have the middle hole drilled correctly, but no side holes as in the picture.

Not sure if this is much help - but at least we can see what they're supposed to look like.

Attached Files: