BT YouView v BT Vision + Box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by shogun, Jun 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. shogun

shogun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    As any AVForum members upgraded their BT Vision + box for the newer BT YouView box (I think its a model DTR 2100 ?).

I have the BT TV infinity package with HD entertainment & BT sports in HD.

OK, I know the BT Vision box is a little buggy & sometimes has a slow unresponsive operating UI and lacks the extra features of the Youview box, but what I really find impressive with this older BT box is the HD picture quality of the TV channels over my 36mb internet broadband speed (especially the HD Freeview channels such has BBC HD etc, together with BTsport & HD Eurosport).

I have got a few HD Freeview set top boxes dotted around the house and have compared them on my main TV against the BT Vision box and I find the HD picture looks noticeably better to my eyes on the BT box.

I have been told by BT, that if I want to utlize the red button feature (for choosing my preference for which match I want to watch) on the new BT Sports Europe channel for European Championship football, that I will need to upgrade to the Youview box.

If I keep the BT Vision box i will only be able to watch the main match being broadcasted on the BT Sports Europe Channel only.

Apart any reliability issues owners have noticed on the BT Youview box, what I would like to know more importantly is how does the HD picture quality compare between both boxes.

Also my signal strength on over the air TV broadcasts is excellent and the main TV transmitter is less than 10miles from my house when watching Freeview.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Yes, I've done the above. The YouView DTR T2100 is the most advanced piece of Freeview HD kit out there. The HD picture is superb, far above that of my Sky HD box, though I've ditched that now.

Highly recommended.

3. shogun

shogun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Visionman,

Thanks for the positive post, I think I going to phone BT next week and take the plunge in upgrading to the DTR T2100 YouView box.

BT have quoted me £35 for the new box (activation fee) and I also need to re contract to BT for another 18 months to enable me to continue to receive BTSports for free.

4. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Ta. But you can argue the toss over that activation fee. "Oh, I have to pay an activation fee? Nah, never mind." "OK we'll waive it." I certainly didn't pay one.

5. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Just checked my YouView model and it's the T2200. First and only BT box I've used. Happy with it.

6. shogun

shogun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks for the tip, when I call BT I will try to see if that they will waiver this £35 activation fee.

7. shogun

shogun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    The DTR T2100 BT YouView box comes with a 500GB hard drive, the BT model T2200 YouView box has no hard drive, so does not have a multiple recording function.

8. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Thanks for explaining the difference.

9. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    The next box out is a G5, or T4000 as it were. Have a guess at what it is/does..... :)

10. whitesnake11

whitesnake11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Does it Hoover the house?:)

11. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Make toast?

12. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Absolutely :)

And it even makes an Ultra nice full English as well. :lesson:

13. shogun

shogun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Decided eventually to future proof myself by upgrading to the BT Ultra HD Entertainment package, together with an additional fee of £49 for a new Ultra HD Youview box which is being shipped to my home on the 5th August.

No need for a BT engineer visit to install the box, due to being an existing BT TV customer where my BT Home hub router and Ethernet wiring is already fitted to my exiting BT Vision box.

My only dilemma now is that I am in two minds whether to upgrade my 1080p Panasonic plasma TV (which IMO looks fantastic for watching sports events) straightaway for a new 4k LCD TV ?

Or should I wait another year for 4K TV's to come down in price, don't really want to speed more than £1000 on a 50inch 4K TV set.

Currently looking at the Panasonic 50cx700 TV from Currys, but not sure that the motion on this TV set will look as good has my Plasma TV ?

14. BingoBongo275

BingoBongo275

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I recon you should keep with what you have if you're really happy with the Panny. Prices are dropping all the time and IMHO it's only worth paying the extra to 'upgrade' to 4k if you're going above 55" (just my personal opinion, I respect others who don't agree)

15. palace

palace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would wait until the news box is installed.I have a mid range Lg tv which is 4 years old.The new box has improved my picture on the Hd channels.I was watching the Rugby League on bbc2 last night and picture looked so good.Only problem I have with my box is that it keeps dropping the sound and have had trouble getting it back after hitting the mute button on my av stand.
    The picture on the UHd channel even in 1080 looks great.Go to the on demand section and watch the Snowboarding video.