BT Youview query

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by mcdermott_c, Mar 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mcdermott_c

mcdermott_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Currently have an old silver BT vision box which I suspect is on the blink. I was about to swap to Talktalk for the Youview and broadband and noticed that BT also do Youview so I have a few questions I hope someone might be able to answer.

Why do so many people rate the BT Humax box much better than the TalkTalk Huawai box - what is wrong with the Huawai box ?

On BT Youview and TalkTalk Youview can you watch ITV from another region ? e.g watch ITV London in scotland ?

many thanks

chris

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I'll leave it to others to address differences re the two boxes but regarding the above point - Obviously there would be no change to your freeview reception so you could not receive regional broadcasts that way, so that only leaves the catchup services.

Judging by this then, and assuming you are in Scotland, I'd say not, as England and Scotland appear to have their own distinct services.

However - I don't know how regional services within those groups are arranged or if they are individually accessible.

Perhaps a user could comment.

Edit - I see from further perusal of that TV listing table that they are making a distinction between what is received by aerial or by IP.... and the distinct Scottish services are the Freeview services so such distinction is to be expected.... so apologies. I am not really adding anything useful here.

3. mcdermott_c

mcdermott_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks Gav

I did wonder if it was possible, i know for example you can do it on SKY but wondered if due to how youview works whether it would be possible on there too !

Its always annoying when I would like to watch Man U in the champions league for example but have another game on in Scotland !

If anyone could comment on the box differences that would be great too

thanks again Gav

4. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    Hi,

I don't have a YouView box, but I do know how it works. And I'm sorry to say you will only get the ITV region for the country you live in. As the box geo-locks the ITV channel and catch up player via your aerial signal. An example of this being viewers living in Northern Ireland. They can't get ITV1 catch up content, as they don't hold the broadcast rights in that territory, UTV do. And UTV don't have a catch up player on YouView.

As for the two boxes, all the reports I have read from users have all said both boxes are excellent. So no problems there.

5. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    The difference in broadcasting to regions with sky and freeview I'd that your local dtv mast will only broadcast your stations whereas sky transmits everything to everywhere, when you first boot a free sat box it takes your postcode and locks it to that, of you put a London postcode in you'd get the London channels

I've not used the talk talk box but the BT one is great as a simple PVR with vod as an extra, the big difference I believe though is the hard drive size, I think the talk talk one was only 320gb when I looked while the BT was sporting 500gb. The other differences are in service, you won't be able to get any channels on bt but you can on talk talk, vice versa with bt vision

6. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Your choice will depend on which of the extra services delivered by IPTV appeal to you most. BT for example will have the rights to major football games live later this year I believe. Your location would have no effect on which games are available of course because they are streamed to you rather than broadcast terrestrially.

The main difference between the boxes as far as the average user is concerned is the design and the size of the hard drive. Traditionally Humax are fairly bulletproof unless you get one of their rogue machines. The T1000 was the first to the market and there are loads out there. I have a suspicion there may be a batch of dodgy hard drives used in some and a software glitch means a few bad sectors can wipe all your recordings (this is known and they are to update the firmware). There is a much bigger knowledge base among a lot of people with experience of PVRs as they gave away 1000+ to final triallists who they recruited to their support forums. The converse of course is that they are also very particular to get to near perfect a machine so the most minor fault has been picked on. Humax traditionally also have good firmware support with their software teams coming up with fixes and improvements far more regularly than other makers (Vestel for example seem to almost never issue software updates)

The Huawei has fewer glitches reported but this might be down to better connections to TalkTalk (they appear to have fewer of the dreaded YV104 errors - which is when the box cannot connect to the server. The box obviously has a far smaller disc drive (and no provision to download to an external drive) however some have already swapped out the disc drives on Humax boxes to increase to 2 Gb.