Question BT Youview box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by kpfarmer1, Jul 17, 2015.

1. kpfarmer1

kpfarmer1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a second hand BT T2100 youview box and cannot get it to connect to the Internet. It connects to the router but then fails at the Internet stage. I have checked the Ethernet cable and rebooted the router and rest the youview box a number of times.

I phoned BT who were so unhelpful and told me that they could give me no support as I did not buy the box from them.

What I want to know is does the box need to be registered for it to connect to the Internet. And if it does and I can get no support from BT is it just going to be a freeview box that has little use to me as I have both Sky and a Tuner on my TV. I only wanted it for BT sports.

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    If you are not registering and paying for the service why would you expect a response from BT?

3. kpfarmer1

kpfarmer1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a BT customer with their max infinity package. Where did I say that I wasn't willing to pay to anything?. I expect to pay a subscription for what I choose. I was asking if I needed to register it to get the internet side of it working or whether there may be a problem with the box I bought.

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Apologies, but you did not say that you were a BT customer. I wonder if their boxes are not intended for resale. This is certainly the case with Virgin Media boxes.

5. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    You View sub forum... YouView Forum | AVForums may be worth trawling through for similar issues?

BT boxes work on other ISPs as well as BT's (allegedly) and are more or less rebadged Humax boxes as far as I know? They (BT badged boxes) were on retail sale in Currys at one time.

Most likely imho is that the router may be blocking the box from accessing the internet? Don't ask me how to unblock it as I'm not using BT as my ISP. But a search on AVforums or the internet should find the answer.

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    If you want to get BT Sports via streaming on a STB, you can only do so via taking out a BT TV subscription.

In that case, they provide you with a STB as part of the subscription service. Also, any data consumed by said box doesn't count towards your data cap (if you are on a capped plan, that is).

Given that, no idea why you'd want to buy your own BT box separately. Your best chance of utilising your 'free' BT Sports is to try hooking up your mobile device or a computer and streaming via them (if the devices can be connected to the TV of course).