BT Youview box from John Lewis, anyone?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Clem_Dye, Feb 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    My apologies if this topic has been covered before, but I'm not a regular visitor to the forum. Anyway ....my DigitalStream Freeview HD PVR is on its way out. It's becoming too unreliable and I want to replace it before it finally dies. Browsing the JL website I saw a BT Youview box up for grabs at £159, which is about the price that I want to pay. Although I primarily timeshift, having access to the main catch-up services and now Dave/Yesterday and so forth makes the box more attractive, especially as JL offer a 2-year guarantee. I'm a BT Infinity customer already, so in theory, I should be good to go, right? However, it seems that historically there have been issues with the Youview hardware (in general), so could someone help with the following questions please?

-- Do Youview boxes (and the BT box in particular) now deliver 5.1 DD audio via HDMI/optical if a programme is transmitted with such a soundtrack? ISTR that this was a big issue to begin with.

-- How reliable are Youview boxes in terms of following the Freeview EPG (and I know that these aren't Freeview boxes) for accurate recording and so forth?

-- Can I set-up manual timers if I want to?

-- Any problems with me connecting the BT box to a BT Home Hub3? I see another poster in the forum has had a lot of grief getting his BT box to work. Should I ask BT for a new HH4/5/whatever first?

-- Any issues with me using the BT box on a BT Infinity connection subscription-wise? Do I have to sign-up to BT's services for the box to work? I'm not interested in paying BT £5/month over what I pay them now. I just want timeshifting and access to the free catch-up services.

-- Any other gotchas or things to watch out for?

Cheers

Clem

2. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    The TalkTalk one does so I would assume the BT one does.

I've not had a problem with accurate recording with my TalkTalk box. The EPG is the same order as the Freeview one.

Don't know.

I recall the issues were with getting the BT specific bits working. If you don't care about these there should be no problem.

Any Youview box should work without a subscription and with any internet provider. Everything works apart from the subscription specific parts. So you get the PVR functionality and all the catch up stuff.
    [/quote]

Talktalk Youview boxes are available for around £60 on a well known auction site, so if you just want a cheap PVR with catchup this way is cheaper but of course you would have no guarantee.

3. snaithg

snaithg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    It's some time since I looked at this but if I recall correctly as you are already a BT Infinity broadband customer you will get a "free" Youview box if you subscribe to one of BT's TV packages. You can then cancel the subscription at the end of the contract term (12months?), the Youview box is then yours to keep.

Lets say the cheapest TV subscription is £5 pm then you will pay £60 in total for the full 12 months. Cancel the contract at that time and you have a BT Humax Youview box for £60.

For the 12 month period you also get access to additional TV channels, BT specific content and BT sports.

Above needs revalidating since this was all from memory and may just be a load of Tosh!

Graham.