BT Yahoo Broadband - Which Wireless router?

bettynew

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just a quick question. My Dad is getting a laptop for Christmas and I was thinking of getting him a wireless router or access point to go with it.

He uses BT Yahoo broadband so at the moment he turns on his PC and has to sign in to the service to get connected.
What sort of router would I need to work with his current set up? Just any ADSL wireless router and replace his existing router?

Also, he is very concerned about WiFi security. I have ensured him that wireless connections are encrypted if the right setting is selected but are there any wireless routers which provide a higher level encryption to ensure it is as secure as possible?

Coule anyone recommend and good models?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: While I was waiting for a reply I noticed the HomePlug FAQ section. Maybe homeplug would be a better solution. This would be totally secure wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Really? Even though its an old broadband service?
Do you think he would have to upgrade his service to get one?
If thats the case I'll be having a word with Virgin to ask why they don't do the same deal!

If he is still dead agaisnt WiFi becuase he is scared his data will gets intercepted, would the safer solution be the HomePlugs?

1. Really? Even though its an old broadband service?
2. Do you think he would have to upgrade his service to get one?

3. If he is still dead agaisnt WiFi becuase he is scared his data will gets intercepted, would the safer solution be the HomePlugs?
1. Yes.
2. No. Just sign up for another 12 months.
3. Tell him that only NSA/GCHQ have that capability. However you could just switch the router's WiFi off and use HomePlugs instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom