BT Xbox Live 12 Month Subscription offer - warning

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dunks517, Aug 4, 2006.

1. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Folks, Please be aware of the following information:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO SWITCH AND INTEND TO TAKE UP THE OFFER OF THE 12 MONTH XBOX LIVE SUBSCRIPTION THEN YOU SHOULD ORDER BT TOTAL BROADBAND FROM THE FOLLOWING SITE: http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/consumer/onlinegaming/xboxlive/xboxlive-gold-membership.htm

If you look at the footnotes at the bottom of the above shortcut, it will state the that the way to qualify for the subscription if via that page. I spoke to BT this morning and the operator said that the above method was the way to apply if you intend to take advantage of the offer - she also mentioned that I was not the first person to query where my redemption code was and people have been caught out!:lesson: Nice loophole BT!

2. Trist

Trist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I ordered via BT a week and a bit ago via that website link so hopefully I should be eligible. It's a bit cheeky though, to not make that a bit clearer, did you manage to persuade them to give you a 12 month card?

Also… I assume you will have got the new BT Home Hub thingy… if so would you mind giving some quick impressions of it? Was it easy to setup, etc. Mine should be delivered next Tuesday evening so as soon as I'm back from the football I'll be trying to get internet and Xbox LIVE setup again, I'm just wondering if I'm in for the long frustrating session trying to get everything to work (as I'm expecting)… or if it's the nice easy painless setup that BT suggest (but I'm not convinced by…).
    :thumbsup:

3. FlawlessAbyss

FlawlessAbyss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The BT Hub was easy to setup. You'll have to go back to the Xbox Network Settings and re-join also entering in a WAP Key (12 digit). There are secret menus on the Hub for extensive Firewall and other tweaks. The phone is delayed by 6 weeks. Hope this helps!

4. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    BT Home Hub - My First Impressions:

The Postie delivered it at 0745 hrs this morning and I set about unpacking it, I plugged it in via the supplied microfilter and switched it on and waited as per the instructions for a software update. Once I had a shower and some breakfast it was ready; I ensured the other wifi peices of equipment were turned off (Netgear WGE111 Gaming adapter & HP HX 2490) and inserted the CD into my pc. The wizard was designed with joe public in mind and included tick boxes to say that you have waited the required amount of time and all the correct buttons were lit on the hub! One point to note is that the BT Yahoo! internet browser did not install first time, this apparently is due to the fact that I am using Internet Explorer 7 Beta3, However, it installed second time round. The rest of the wizard passed without incident and I was online around 1000 hrs with the wizard taking charge of my Netgear usb wifi adapter and connecting easily and is working fine so far...

Overall:

Home Hub - White plastic box much better than the Wanadoo livebox (it has the Network Key printed on the rear so do not place it on a window sill or where it could be seen).
    Installation wizard - Ok, designed very much for the numpty with the 64 bit WEP already set up.
    Other peripherals: My pda connected easily and the range is around 50 feet through two walls (halfway up my garden) and the WGE111 Gaming adapter connected once I inputted the key and connected it (highly recommended adapter)

Xbox live subscription: I have to wait 14 days after activation for my 12 month redemption code to be emailed to my account (more small print), whether this will arrive, well that is another story.

Hub phone - Apparently I missed off ticking the bit about BT Broadband Talk so I did not get the replacement dect phone mmm... must get round to looking into that.