1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bt wireless router help!!

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by tim k, Apr 1, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this probably isnt the place to post, but i have just installed a new bt 1250 wireless modem, and connected the local ethernet to my htpc, and for some unknown reason i cant access sites like microsoft, ebay and other big sites, but things like here and other forums and small web pages are fine. have i set this up wrong?? I automatically searched for the aol network using username and password in the bt logon web page to setup.

2. bfrench

bfrench

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    As you can access certain sites only, I would
    suggest that maybe your anti-virus software
    may be blocking some sites. This happened to
    me with norton internet security. I would check those
    settings first. Also have you got XP sp2 installed? There
    are apparently problems with BT and XP2 compatablity.
    They blame each other of course. I have this router and
    it seems to work fine, but I haven't istalled SP2.

Barry

3. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im very impressed with aol technical support, i chanced it and rang them after a 30 minute wait, and the guy said it must have been the mtu settings, i downloaded this thing off google that changes the mtu automatically to 1400, and tada, all sorted :D :D

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,450
    I experienced the same symptoms yesterday after configuring an SMC router in place of a USB Speedtouch. After much :censored: around I found that at some point during the installation, Norton Internet Security had been disabled. Seems fair enough as the firewall in the router should take over. The odd thing was that I was told that I didn't have authority to switch it back on, despite having admin privilages on my XP account & no admin configured in Norton. I logged on as Administrator, restarted Norton & everything was then OK. :confused: