Question Bt wifi

damo09

hi all. I have a bt hub. In my 2nd floor front room. But I'm struggling to get WiFi in the dining room. Only 30 feet away ish. Is there anything I can get to boost the signal a little. I have a booster on my sky box that sky gave me but that only boosts the sky signal many thanks.

mushii

Distinguished Member
One of your problems will be running two different lots of wifi, unless they are on separate channels they could very well be interfering with one another. If you add another 'booster' into the mix you may very well just compound the problems, not make it better. I would suggest that you settle on a single wifi solution in your property and make that as good as it can be.

Can you describe your current set-up in a little more detail and what it is you would like to achieve.

damo09

Ok excuse the mess....the pic is my boiler/fuse box/shoe cupboard and hive receiver

The cable going into the ceiling gos to my front room amd is plugged into a ethernet box. And has ps4 x box sky q and TV plugged into it.

My first thought was to get a longer ethernet cable so I can put the router into the front room. (Directly above the shoe cupboard..but then it would be inbetween my new rear speakers on my sound bar so that may give me another headache altogether.

?.

Attachments

mushii

Distinguished Member
You could look to put a wireless access point in your front room. By ethernet box I take it you mean a switch, something that looks like this ?

1592475495991.png

Are you currently getting wifi from your sky Q box as well as your BT Home hub ?

damo09

Hi sorry for the delay. I have onr of those boxes..

I have a ethernet cable running from the bt home hub..(screwed to the wall.) And that cable goes to the router. Then an additional cable goes from the router to the net gear box. Amd I have tv x box ps4 and sky q attached..i have a longer cable coming tomorrow 20mtr ethernet hopefully I can trail that round the front room and have the router away from all.the electronics..

damo09

and I don't think I get wi fi from the box. Isn't that a sky thing.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Wi-Fi is availed by devices called Access Points (AP's.) AP's can be stand alone devices, though often for SOHO usage, AP's are built into "other" things such as routers, HomePlugs, Sky boxes, etc. To know whether any given device has an AP built in, one needs to check the details of the specification.

Ethernet switches (incidentally, they are also often built in to SOHO "routers"/SuperHubs/HomeHubs/etc.) usually don't contain Wi-Fi AP's. But that's not to say they could not, it's just rare. Some SOHO "routers" for example have a "one click" configuration change that turns them into an ethernet switch/AP combo (so disabling the router, firewall, NAT, etc.)

Attached to the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum is a "block diagram" showing what is typically included in a SOHO "get-you-on-the-Internet" omni-box. In the business world, all the separate functions can, and often are, implemented in separate devices, but for SOHO use, they are stripped down to the bear minimum, highly automated and combined into a single unit that does just enough to get you on the Internet.