BT Vision.

Pudgerboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi there,

Anyone know what sort of outputs to expect on the BT vision V-box? all i can find is the blurb on the bt site which is not terribly detailed. thanks

I was interested in this until I noticed it requires you to have their 'free' BT Home Hub installed aswell.

That makes it a no no for me as I have yet to hear from anyone that has had success with that piece of crap. From constant disconnects and slow line speeds to high pings for gaming etc etc.

i didnt know that about the home hub, but dismissed it purely for the reason that they admit the call quality on VoIP is cr*p in the small print. surely they'd have a digital or component output for (fture) hi def content? I run a media centre also but dont watch enough films to merit a subscription service like sky. So it seems a good idea in principle. Anyone know what to expect with this service? has it actually been launched yet or are they just touting the wares?

Thanks for the link. It looks interesting.

Although BT are claiming its free, you still pay £60 for installation and £30 connection. What they are charging £60 for some guy to come and plug it in and connect it to your TV for is beyond me. Why don't they just say the box costs £90 and be done with it?

The prices for things look good such as films for £1.99 and TV shows for 79p. But it does say FROM for all the prices so who knows what current films would cost.

But the thing that will probably put me off this most is resigning up to another 12month contract for broadband. BT are already far too expensive compared to other providers and I probably would change when my current contract runs out to a cheaper provider. Plus not forgetting the crappy BT Home Hub which I mentioned in my other post above.

I am a bit annoyed with the stealth charges for the v-box. I don't want to pay £60 for a bloke to turn up and plug a few cables in. Its not rocket science. Now setting up the Home hub is tricky!!!

The BT Home Hub isn't too bad providing you don't use the drivers/software provided by BT. I had loads of problems with loosing the Wireless connection and it needed resetting.

So I uninstalled the BT software and drivers and just configured my machine using normal Windows XP drivers.

Not had a single problem since.

Yes BT are more expensive than plenty of other providers but I have no issues with the broadband service for years (apart from the home hub stuff).
So I am willing to pay more for no hassle.

Yes BT are more expensive than plenty of other providers but I have no issues with the broadband service for years (apart from the home hub stuff).
So I am willing to pay more for no hassle.

True there. I very rarely have problems with BT. Maybe a disconnection every week or so. May have to seriously consider that when compared to other cheaper providers.

I'd agree wholeheartedly with that. A couple of people at my work made the mistake of trying to switch their broadband to 'cheaper' suppliers. The level of service was terrible and they both ended up by being without internet for two months. They've since reverted to BT. I know everyone has just as many tales contrary to this but i certainly havent had any problems. Where it was good was that i've moved house twice recently and it was no problems transfering it. Still not sure how much good it is. Does it stream the content to you or does it do some DRM mularky that allows you one watch?

I have had the BT home hub pacake for a couple of weeks now and it works perfectly. I even get speeds which are faster than what they said i would have.

I saw this box mentioned in T3 magazine back around August and they did say it had both Component and HDMI for HD material that will be available

Any idea when we can buy this as i don't have SKY (can't get it where i am) and paying the odd £2 here and there for a movie sounds good.

You can apply to get the v-box now. But BT have to install it for you (stealth charge) and the currently it looking like mid-January before an engineer can visit!

Go here and register...

http://www.btvision.bt.com/

i dont see the point in bt broadband, they are one of the only providers that still cap their users downloads, which is useless for anything other than light usage.

Anyone know if this has a dual tuner? - all spec read like just one, which is just a nonsense in this day and age.

i dont see the point in bt broadband, they are one of the only providers that still cap their users downloads, which is useless for anything other than light usage.

I would imagine this would be altered somehow. It would be counter productive. People would be not be paying for downloads for fear of going over their limit.

sounds to me this could end up being expensive, so i may give it a miss

Hi all,

I currently own a Humax 9200T but have just seen this. Seems pretty good.

http://www.btvision.bt.com/

You can watch programs 7 days back. Impressive.

As a long term BT Broadband user I recently got offered via email an upgrade to their total broadband service in exchange for another 12 month contract, but it is uncapped so long as I stay on Option 3. I have decided to give it a go since it will be a bit cheaper, hopefully quite a bit faster, and will provide me with the option of getting BT Vision too at some point if it turns out to be worthwhile...

I know £90 for an engineer to install seems to much, especially as i will end up doing most if it myself (i dont want the engineer messing with my hub settings or knowing my passwords).
However look at it from another way and £90 for a 160gb hdd recorder with IP connections is pretty good value.
I am on an 18 month contract with them anyway so I did not need to renew my contract.

The only annoying thing is that it uses one of the 2 ethernet points on the hub (Both of mine r in use at the moment). I will have to either buy a small switch or convert 1 pc to wireless.

It is being installed on Jan 10th so i will let you know how it goes.

I am very interested in btvision at the moment I'm still on the option4 BB but I will not downgrade to option three until I know it works,that way I can get the HH and vision at the same time as unlimited BB and only a 12mth contract,if I downgrade now I have to stay with BT for another 12mth even if I decide against Btvision,also tiscali BB bought Homechoice and are rolling that out across the uk sometime this year.;)

I know £90 for an engineer to install seems to much, especially as i will end up doing most if it myself (i dont want the engineer messing with my hub settings or knowing my passwords).
However look at it from another way and £90 for a 160gb hdd recorder with IP connections is pretty good value.
I am on an 18 month contract with them anyway so I did not need to renew my contract.

The only annoying thing is that it uses one of the 2 ethernet points on the hub (Both of mine r in use at the moment). I will have to either buy a small switch or convert 1 pc to wireless.

It is being installed on Jan 10th so i will let you know how it goes.

I am also interested in this. I have BT Home Hub, which is fine, but i would like to know if you can receive the BBC HD channel on this box as it states that it "HD ready".
I have the Humax "Free Trial" box which has BBC HD and that is the only reason i am keeping it, but as i am currenty looking to upgrade my av equipment, i have 4 HDMI inputs, (blue ray coming, denon 1920, humax box, PVR coming)but the AV receiver of choice has only 3 inputs (sony 5200).:clap:

From what i have read the vbox will not receive any HD channels until the analogue signals are turned off in 2010! There isn't enough bandwidth until then.
Don't know about HD via IP though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom