• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BT Vision technicalities

[email protected]

Standard Member
1) Does the BT Vision box work fine for Freeview/Setanta if not connected to broadband?
2) Is the BT Vision box wireless for Broadband connection - I don't want my TV near the phone socket or wires across the floor?

I've got a Freeview DVDR with HDD but want Setanta and so was easilly prepared to pay £40 for a Sagem which will take Setanta. My CRT TV has only an analogue tuner.

The BT Vision box seems to be a good alternative to give me a Freeview box primarilly for watching (rather than recording) with Setanta. The HDD and program downloads would purely be a bonus. I've already got wired BT Broadband but I'm about to get a wireless PC.

Cheers,
Matt.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
1. Yes, it works perfectly, will need plugging in every so for EPG update and every time you want to rescan for channels but will work completely standalone from a date that BT have yet to set (the tie in is to keep the "free" boxes off ebay etc. and actually retain customers despite giving away a product and a service for free!)
2. A fitted (professionally unlike a lot of sky installs) BT extension socket is part of the installation, but they do have to move your home hub for the connection - you could run the cat 5 though?

SpaceGhost

1. Yes, it works perfectly, will need plugging in every so for EPG update and every time you want to rescan for channels but will work completely standalone from a date that BT have yet to set (the tie in is to keep the "free" boxes off ebay etc. and actually retain customers despite giving away a product and a service for free!)

So in other words, no, it won't work without a network connection at the moment. :lesson:

I have recently moved house and did not have broadband for a week or so, and can confirm that the Vision box will not even boot up without a network connection at present.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Just in case it isn't clear.

1. The BT Vision box HAS to have a connection to the BT Vision host in order to work.

2. It is wire connected to the BT Home Hub only but you can (and I do) connect it to the BT Home Hub via Two HomePlug (Think of it as Ethernet over the mains.) adapters.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
It will boot without a network connection, it just can't be initially installed without one - you could get away with connecting it periodically, but you can't record without a connection either. You could use a console type wireless extender or a hub used as a wireless repeater, but QoS might not be good enough for the on demand... Homeplugs are the way to go if you really can't have wires (and if your neighbours don't have homeplugs running off the same incoming mains feed to slow the connection to a crawl....)

SpaceGhost

It will boot without a network connection, it just can't be initially installed without one - you could get away with connecting it periodically, but you can't record without a connection either.

Mine didn't, I tried it only last week before my broadband had been switched on.

It just sat there with the hard disk grinding away and no display output.

DevCode

Doesn't the BT Vision box get its EPG and info from the internet, not the freeview feed?????? so even though it will work, functionality will be limited.

BTW, there is a wireless version in the pipeline, BT are trialling the use of the DLAN home network plugs (the one that use mains elec as the network) for the BT Home HUB, ask nicely and you may be put on the trial.

:thumbsup:

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
It gets its EPG from the Broadband connection and in order to record it has to be connected to the BT Vision host or it just won't work.

I haven't heard of a wireless version (lack of reliable bandwidth for VoD) but the HomePlug connection works well. You don't need to get you adapters from BT. I have two Lindy 14 Mb/s adapters (you don't need the anything faster) connecting my BT Visionbox to the HH and they work well.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom