BT vision home install

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by tonycommander, Jan 17, 2008.

1. tonycommander

tonycommander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Have done this fine, using the plugin network adaprors for my home wiring.

Everything is fine for vision, but due to issues with the home-hub's wireless ranger I'd like to plug the ethernet from the 'vision' plug into either a laptop occaisionaly, or eventually a 4 port switch...

The only thing that stops me from doing this is when I plug the ethernet straight into either a pc or my laptop (instead of the vision box...) so unplug from vision and plug straight into laptop...

I cannot connect to the web, ping anyweb address or have any connection...

Unplug from laptop, back into vision box and vision works fine...

What have I missed?

2. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Hi

I had a similar problem when i installed BT Vision to my home hub. I had one ethernet port wired to my main pc. Bt vision used the second ethernet port.

I then went and built another pc and wanted that also wired to the Home Hub but both ports are being used.

So i went to Maplin and purchased a 5 port switch for 24.99 and put the cat5 ethernet cable from the Home hub into that.

I then took 2 ethernet cables from the switch box (one for each pc) to both computers. Work a treat

HTH

3. tonycommander

tonycommander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Lol.. not hugely...

I have a switch downstairs for my main Pc, and my works laptop when I need to work from home...

My vision box is installed upstairs, where the kids PC's are.. Because my homehub's wireless is worse than useless what I really want to do is plug another switch in upstairs - straight out of my powerline plug adaptor...

And then from that 2nd switch run Vision and the kids PC's..

But even when I plug a laptop in instead of the vision box that laptop cannot connect to the web.. even though the vision bax can do everything it needs..

I just didn't want to have to hard wire all the way upstairs!!

4. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    :)

I wanted to do something similar when putting in a pc upstairs and i enquired with BT if i could buy another power line adapter.

They said yes and that they come in pairs for 75quid:eek:

I thought that was a bit too much, so i went to PC World and as they sell powerline adapters i thought i would get one. I was talking to a salesman and asked if the powerline adapters that they sell would work with a different pair of adapters from another brand. (BT supply Comtrend powerline adapters). He said it 'should work' in theory and that if it did not that i could bring it back for a refund.

The Comtrend website does have a diagram showing how their adapters could supply web to the whole house using the home electrical sockets.

However i changed my mind and instead bought a 9 pound 30m cat6 cable from Scan and ran that upstairs. That worked out cheaper and i think more reliable.

5. tonycommander

tonycommander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Exactly what I did.. luckily I'm an Oracle DBA by trade for BT. So I rang one of our internal tech guys - borrowed his crimp tool and made up half a dozen cables...

Out of Home hub and up the stairs to an old switch I had knocking around.. Out to Vision and the kids PC's - all works a treat now.

6. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    BT recommend that you put the BT Vision box in Ether Port One. I'd leave that dedicated to Bt Vision and connect any switches to Ether Port Two.

7. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Glad you got it sorted. Wireless can and does still cause problems to many and you can't beat a direct wired connection:smashin:

Luckily my wireless connection to my laptop is good. Rest of the stuff is hard wired and will remain so.