BT Vision - HD Availability

Co1one1ZoidX

Prominent Member
Reaction score
just wondered if any1 nos when BT vision hd is coming out waz lukin at their deals but no HD!currently with sky but am thinking of switching.

No news yet.... but BT are part of the Youview development group, and Youview is launching in Feb 2012.

I would expect that BT will launch new hardware then [ which is required to handle youview ] at which time it is also reasonable to expect it will handle OTA HD

Bear in mind that the 'off the air' stuff from a BT box comes down an aerial by Freeview. If they wanted to include the free to air HD channels then all they would do is change to a Freeview HD box. Down the line stuff, SD or HD, is always going to depend on how good the Broadband connection to your home is. For a lot of the population this is still relatively poor.

Just to add a further note to this - Existing BT boxes can and do deliver HD via the net connection - which they do by buffering for later playback so the connection speed is not an issue. [ SD stuff comes in real time ]

Just to add a further note to this - Existing BT boxes can and do deliver HD via the net connection - which they do by buffering for later playback so the connection speed is not an issue. [ SD stuff comes in real time ]

My experience of this (on what was probably a poor broadband connection) was a very jumpy looking movie which was almost unwatchable on a friends TV. The HD movie had taken ages to download.

My experience of this (on what was probably a poor broadband connection) was a very jumpy looking movie which was almost unwatchable on a friends TV. The HD movie had taken ages to download.

Hmmm. Interesting. I've not heard of this being an issue before.

In theory this shouldn't happen.

Yesterday, I rented Insidious from BT Box Office and it was terrible with frequent freezing and sound breakup. I had to wait until late at night before it was watchable.

When I was having trouble watching it, I ran a speed test on my broadband connection and it was showing 12mbs which is pretty fast so I couldn't understand why the movie was so bad.

Looks like HD movies are downloaded first so no problem with them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom