BT Vision - check my understanding of what this offers

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by happhhitachi, Aug 2, 2012.

1. happhhitachi

happhhitachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Folks

My Dad has just been persuaded to take BTV but I think he's got a cooling off period and I've been asked to comment on the package being offered.

I have no experience of this service so I wanted to check that I understand what's on offer?

1) The BTV box is essentially a PVR for free view digital TV.
    2) For off-air free view digital TV it's SD only.
    3) HD content is available BUT only that which is downloaded via Internet.

The alternative would seem to be:
    Stick with off-air free view direct to the TV
    Buy the Sony WiFi dongle for the SmartTV and use the free Apps BBC iPlayer and such.

There would be no pause live TV or rewind but other than that I'm wondering what the. BTV package is delivering. I'd add that the prime driver for this is saving some dish, they think the current Sky package is too expensive.

opinion/comment/suggestion

2. Noggin

Noggin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD will be available later this month after software upgrade for all freeview HD channels. There is pause live TV. The package includes ESPN for a one off £10 charge and Sky Sports 1 & 2 for £18ish a month. HD content is available via internet (if you have a decent connection) via iplayer and other on demand programming + box office films. If iplayer on your PC runs HD content well then BT Vision will later this month but only SD content is available at the moment.

3. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    How can a firmware upgrade add HD channels unless the box already has the correct DVB-T2 tuner devices installed? Am I missing something here? I thought BT was due to release a new box that has HD capability? Don't get me wrong, the BTV box idea is tempting at £4/month from BT. I'm mainly interested in getting HD iPlayer stuff (which the box can do, I understand), but for Freeview HD it will need the hardware to not only take care of the picture, but the HE-AAC 5.1 -> DD5.1 transcoding if it's really going to support Freeview HD properly, and I've seen nothing about that capability in the current BTV boxes.

Clem

4. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    BT is trialling YouView boxes and it looks like it will be their standard offering. They will provide the new services BT plan. You are right that without a DVB-T2 tuner you will not get the terrestrial service on the current (old?) BT boxes. Ask them to make it clear EXACTLY what make and model they plan to provide as it looks like they are pushing their old gear in advance of the YouView launch.