BT Vision 2nd Oct

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Flash80, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Flash80

Flash80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have just ordered BT Vision as i was offered it for free from BT if i took out a new 12 month contract. They are sending out all the equipment 2nd oct so no engineer required. They gave me the choice of using the cabling already in my house so i do not have to get any phone sockets installed. Anyone else using this type of system. The girl on the phone said it was very easy to set up.

2. Saints FC

Saints FC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt bother with it mate.

Yes it should be plug and play but there is one fatal flaw in this,
    it's BT (or Bloody Terrible.
    I had it "installed" a month ago and a C03 error code came up once the ethernet cable was plugged in.
    The "engineer" stayed on the phone to BT for 4 hours trying to resolve it. Even he was being tranferred from pillar to post and told me that the call centre staff didnt have a clue. ( He'd been there 2 months!).
    Anyway 2 weeks later after several phone calls back and forth from India
    Newcastle and somewhere else ( That I have to pay for!) the co3 error code disapeared and it worked.

For one week that is...then an orange light appeared on the box and it doesn't work anymore!

Combine this with the BT home hub ( the sincalir C5 of today) that keeps disconnecting me form what was a perfectly good broadband line and we have the worst product and service available form anyone anywhere today.

If you can avoid it please do .It wasnt much cop any way, and you have to pay extra for virtually everything. I hate to say it but SKY + is miles better

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    The C03 code just means that the registration server the other end is down - all engineers are told to very gingerly explain this to the customer, that it isn't a regular occurrence, and that the customer needs to wait till the following day, power cycle everything starting with the hub, and the box will work - the engineer contact centre will also give the same info if you ask them (I did the other day).

4. Saints FC

Saints FC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It actually took 2 weeks for it to clear and now it doesn't work at all so it isnt something that is easily resolvable with a next day box and Hub system reset as you are implying.(I know I did several dozen in the intervening period).

Also the engineer had a C03 on the previous "installation" that morning. (perhaps you've been lucky or I've been unlucky?)

Sean I do empathise with you BT engineers. The call centre system that you have, where it's pot luck which centre you get through to is a joke. A pain for you as you have to wait around but for us customers it's infuriating when we call as we're being charged for wasting hours on premium rate calls because of BT's faulty hardware/software/systems.

5. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I assume you complained - I would have TBH! Two C03s in a row is normal, just means the server is still down (it's a registration server, not a VoD server)
    The orange light probably means that the HDD is knackered in the box, even Western Digital have a failure rate of about 1% or so (educated guess there, in case WD try and sue me) - the engineer (with or without inverted commas) would not have been able to verify the HDD or it's likely chance of failure within a week, due to the registration server being down!

6. adamp9

adamp9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CO3 errors as previously stated are bootstrap errors on the auth servers they do crop up BT have issues with account set up at there end atm so theres been a lot more then there are normally so Ive been told.
    The orange light on the front does not necessarily mean a kaput HDD it can often be a forced standby cause by a dodgy firmware update try a factory reset on the box (hold down and ok button on front of vbox while unplugging and repowering the box) if not then call BT and scream till they send you a new box

7. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Lol, indeed, what is it you do adam?

8. Saints FC

Saints FC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Adam I have now tried the hold down button and it did "reboot " it but then eventually went orange again, so I guess it's Friar Tucked.

Guess I was just unlucky with 1.The faulty Vision box 2. The faulty home hub 3.The faulty Registration Server.
    And there was me going to go over to Sky for broadband and then BT persuading me not to for twice the price..........I AM STUPID.
    Especially as my SKY HD installation was perfect and works perfectly.

Will have to go through the expensive time consuming call centre(s) fiasco one more time I guess.

What was quite amusing was BT's emailed replies to my separate Home Hub complaint. One said that it would take time to reply because of increased demand and another the same day said it would take time beacuse of the weather ( ***?). That was Wednesday I guess it must be too sunny now!

PS Sean please dont take offence at the inverted commas on the engineer
    reference as this was specific to my egineer not all BT engineers.

9. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I'm more than happy with my self-install BT Vision box, it was a doddle to get going.

Well until one of the powerline adapters gave up :)

I just need a better signal to get the most out of it now, the on-demand stuff is great.

10. adamp9

adamp9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry that hasnt worked out for you Saints.

11. Red_baron1973

Red_baron1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    mine worked first time... straight out of the box... fantastic picture too... better than my old humax 9200..... :clap:

12. Ridalvo

Ridalvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Had BT vision installed on tues 18th and it works fine , only probs i got was the hub it is duff wireless so i'm now using my original speedtouch router and it works a treat with the STB even tho Bt will have you believe only the hub works.

13. Maquis196

Maquis196
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to start with, I'm a BT vision engineer and disclaimer... Any views here are my own and not BT blah blah blah.

Vision itself works quite well I have to admit, I've installed hundreds over the last few months and with the exception of the occasional co3 error it normally works perfectly straight from when you turn it on. Of course I'm convinced its a lottery when you try and play vod when you turn it on, but more often then not its because the line is too slow (ive actually been to places where the sales people have said its good enough but the line speed is about 1mb!)

Well any questions and ill be happy to help.

Maquis196

14. russ9898

russ9898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    We’ve recently had BT vision installed. Overall im very pleased with it

My only gripes are (lol) -

When recording a programme there is no option to record an extra 5mins at the beginning and end of the programme. e.g. the other night I recorded saxondale which should have started at half 8...however it started a few mins late for whatever reason which meant I ended up missing the end of the programme

second gripe is the audio output on the rf. its great bt put an rf output on as it enables me to broadcast the vision box's signal around the house. However the audio volume is VERY low, I have to turn my TV upto nearly full to get something I almost hear comfortably.

One final question I have (not a gripe) but will it be possible in the future to control the vision box using magic eyes like you can sky?

15. Maquis196

Maquis196
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im told there is a lot in store for vision;

external hdd's
    Webcam for video conferencing
    Remote access ala sky
    sky one, sports, etc through the bb

Oh and just in case anyone is wondering I can confirm the box plays Video on demand through non-homehub routers -- Ymmv however, it could be on a router by router basis. Just make sure both are turned off and wait for the router to be completely fired up before turning on the vision.

And as for RF outputs, im pretty sure most have been quite a decent output, could be your setup fella.

Maquis196

16. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    There is no DC on the RF output to power a magic eye, I don't believe it is going to be compatible with systems of the same ilk tbh - just not part of philips' design.
    The recording problem seems to be that unlike sky bt are just providing a recorder, not the actual epg, have had sky+ do the same thing though TBH!

Maquis196, do you have a name old chap?

17. mistriladi

mistriladi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sister works for BT and got the BT vision for £1. She tried to set it up at home in my parents room as she already has sky but it didn't work as she couldn't connect it to her broadband hub (ethernet cable too short).

Anyway she said it should work off my netgear box as i have sky broadband. I set everything up last night but got an error code, I'm not sure i think it was BT01 (not sure of the 2nd letter).

Can anyone advise me on this. Does it HAVE to be on a BT hub or would any router do?

Thanks,

(I am in no way techy minded so may sound a bit dumb!)

18. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    It doesn't have to be connected to a BT Home Hub.
    It does however have to be connected to a BT Vision enabled BT Total Broadband line, it won't even switch one without this.

19. mistriladi

mistriladi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I'll give it back to my sister. I guess she'll have to get a really long ethernet cable and see if that'll work.

20. Flash80

Flash80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hopefully when i do get the BT Vision installed and working on the 02/10 it should be working fine. I have a question which i am hoping some one can help me out with. If i record a programme onto the BT Vision box can i transfer the programme either onto a DVD disk or video. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this :lease:

21. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    No-one can stop you connecting a DVD recorder or VCR to the V-box and transferring stuff across - transferring actual recorded files I haven't actually tried - it's windows ce based but may use some proprietary codec that prevents this (don't think the USB ports could be used for this purpose, so you'd actually have to remove the drive, which does have a windows readable structure, just don't know about the video files)

22. moonbucket

moonbucket
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you mention external HDD's, is their a possiblity of the Vbox acting as a media centre (I know the microsoft os on these supports this)?

Also, any news on HD content - the box is capable isn;t it?

I quite like the box despite it's not as mature a product as Sky+ - my main peev is more to do with the irritating tendency for freeview broadcasts to be in 14:9 - not the fault of the box tho.

Also, one other gripe is the short length of rentals via VOD - 24 hours is not good enough for a show, and music video rentals are both overpriced and far too short a rental (5 mins!) - I paused one to answer the door and couldn't finish watching......

23. Maquis196

Maquis196
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I have a name, its Chris although I prefer Maquis196 online :p.

I agree about the music rentals, far too pricey and stuff should be available longer but all that will get sorted out in time with enough feedback. The hdd is completly windows or in my case Linux compat, from memory its partitioned in two, but ive not had a chance to access the files, I would imagine its some sort of simple file conversion (as in its a fat32 drive say but the file is recorded back to front so that non vision boxes can read them - bit like gamecube stuff).

Im hoping to have a play around with one of them soon, Ive just moved so waiting for my bb to go active. Tell you what though, silly BT have finally sent me some powerline adapters and theyre rated at 200Mbps! these things cost a fortune in the shops, I hope theyre getting MASSIVE discounts, I don't wanna hand them out for nothing, sends a shiver up my spine just thinking about it. Ethernet cables are so 1990's, powerline is the way forward, they are simply fantastic!

Oh and as too the media centre question, Im gonna have a proper open em and look session soon to see what I can do to put linux on it and say mplayer, Id imagine that its a bog standard embedded device hardware inside this thing so hopefully with some tinkering it would be alright, cos the hardware is there to be a great media centre. Bit like my chipped xbox :p

Maquis196

24. sosrandom

sosrandom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Vision box work without BT Broadband? (I have 18months of 8meg Orange left), I have a brilliant Netgear router or an Orange Livebox.

Also I've heard the EPG comes across from the internet but there are plans for an update?

I was looking picking up a cheap Vision box, without HDD, I'm assuming it would be a simple case of plugging a properly formatted drive in or would I need some other files?
    (I have digital camera system and all that needed was a new drive to get working again after it go knackered)

Its mainly the idea of picking one up cheaply and having a fiddle that appeals:devil:

PS the Livebox is a pain to get working but I now have it set-up with a VoIP phone(free calls to landlines & orange mobiles) and as a wireless print server :D

25. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Not very specific, sure I can search you out anyway.

It's a bespoke media chip with some graphics card style ram around it - will let you know the codes shortly - and no heatsinks on the chipset - so not some ms or linux based solution as we may have hoped - uses a nice standard ide drive though for upgrades and can format the hdd in the firmware. I'm thinking that using it without a Vision enabled BT Broadband line is difficult without some hacking, I tried a generic one that had already been activated and it just flashed a green light at me and didn't even give an image via scart.

26. Flash80

Flash80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well i got my kit delivered yesterday and within 1.5 hours i was up and running. The powerline adaptors they gave me work like a treat. However myself and the girlfriend don't think the picture is as good as it was on my inbuilt panasonic freeview box, at times it can appear quite blocky. Granted i am only hooked up using good quality scart cables as i am still waiting on my HDMI cables arriving. I have also noticed the box is a tad noisy.
    One other problem is that i have now lost the picture on the tv's internal freeview box.

27. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Have you looped the RF through correctly?

28. Flash80

Flash80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i think so. the aerial from the wall goes into the bt vision box then into the video and from there into the tv but no signal on the tv freeview box. Once i get my hdmi cables i will pull everything out again and check all connections.

29. jonbull

jonbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered BT Total Broadband for my new home and have been looking around for a Freeview recorder and came across BT Vision. Is the box OK as a Freeview recorder? I'm not that bothered about the on demand content really, although I may look into the sports pack.

Oh and how long does it take for activation and delivery of the box after ordering for a self-install?

30. Flash80

Flash80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It is ok as a freeview recorder. However i noticed that it missed the first minute or so of a programee i recorded last night. Don't think i can start the recording a few minutes early. It took BT about 2.5 weeks to send me out out the kit but only took about 2 hours to get the thing all set up and running