Answered BT Ultrafast 2 and Vigor 130

Hi all,

Does anyone know if BT Ultrafast 2 will work with the Draytek Vigor 130 modem?

Kam

Thanks for the reply.

I can confirm that the Vigor 130 does not work with g.fast.

Now to find a modem that does.

maf1970

Given that it is still in test I think it will be 2020 before most of us see this latest addition.
Some more info about kit -

In total, according to ISP Review, four modems/routers are part of the trial: the Huawei MT992 (in Huntingdon), Zinwell zGFS-1001C (Huntingdon), Technicolor TG799vac Xtream (Huntingdon), and the Alcatel-Lucent F-240W (Gosforth). The other one is the ASKEY – RTV1905VW.
The Huawei unit appears to be very similar to the Openreach VDSL modem, but with a G.fast chipset ensconced within instead. It looks like it would be plugged into some kind of wired or wireless router. The Zinwell device is a combi-modem-and-router, based on the Sckipio G.fast chipset. The Technicolor thing is again a combi-G.fast-modem-and-router, as is the Alcatel-Lucent doohickey. Alcatel-Lucent are now owned by Nokia.

Sckipio are the leading chip people. http://www.sckipio.com/

Askey
MT992-10 ─ Huawei products
Zinwell Corporation
7368 ISAM CPE F-240W-A

XMG5101-S10A G.fast Bridge Modem with 1-port GbE/Coaxial | Zyxel

Update on this for anyone interested.

I have my BT Ultrafast working with my Ubiquiti USG. I am using a Zisa G1000 modem which is available from Alibaba.

Setup was straightforward. I can finally bin the awful homehub.

I believe the G1000 and G100 are the same. On Alibaba it's listed G100. On the Zisa site it's G1000.

I paid £72 with express delivery. Had it in a week.

Reevsie147

Novice Member
Update on this for anyone interested.

I have my BT Ultrafast working with my Ubiquiti USG. I am using a Zisa G1000 modem which is available from Alibaba.

Setup was straightforward. I can finally bin the awful homehub.
Many Thanks for posting your results regarding this modem, I've been having a nightmare tracking down something compatible! Am trying to get one ordered myself now.

As you've now been running it for a bit longer I don't suppose you could let us know if it's been reliable? Have been looking desperately to find a simple modem to bridge to my Google WiFi.

Thanks in advance!

Many Thanks for posting your results regarding this modem, I've been having a nightmare tracking down something compatible! Am trying to get one ordered myself now.

As you've now been running it for a bit longer I don't suppose you could let us know if it's been reliable? Have been looking desperately to find a simple modem to bridge to my Google WiFi.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I am happy to report it has never missed a beat. Never dropped a connection or needed a reboot.

It just works, very happy and I get a steady 270mb.

cantonbean

Novice Member
That's great news, many thanks again! :)
Hi there. I saw this thread and just picked one of these up G1000. However the default login of admin and admin isn’t working for me (as per manual they sent and getting no reply at the moment). I was wondering if you have any idea what the default login for the modem is so I can get it setup? Really appreciate any help as I’m getting very annoyed (tried alternative standards such as password and 1234 under admin username)

Reevsie147

Novice Member
Hi there. I saw this thread and just picked one of these up G1000. However the default login of admin and admin isn’t working for me (as per manual they sent and getting no reply at the moment). I was wondering if you have any idea what the default login for the modem is so I can get it setup? Really appreciate any help as I’m getting very annoyed (tried alternative standards such as password and 1234 under admin username)
Hey @cantonbean.

Unfortunately, I never managed to get my hands on one of the Zisa units (so you're doing better than I did already!) I tried several suppliers on Alibaba but nobody had any stock so I'm having to use the HomeHub (and AP mode on my Orbi's) for now.

Hopefully one of the other guys on here who actually have a unit can assist!

Would be interested to hear how you get on and also where you managed to source one from (if it works!)

Sorry I can't help further, best of luck!

cantonbean

Novice Member
Hey @cantonbean.

Unfortunately, I never managed to get my hands on one of the Zisa units (so you're doing better than I did already!) I tried several suppliers on Alibaba but nobody had any stock so I'm having to use the HomeHub (and AP mode on my Orbi's) for now.

Hopefully one of the other guys on here who actually have a unit can assist!

Would be interested to hear how you get on and also where you managed to source one from (if it works!)

Sorry I can't help further, best of luck!
I managed to get one. They told me had no stock via alibaba and asked me to pay direct via paypal. I was dubious as advice is not to do this. I asked so many questions to establish security they nearly gave up on me. It was only when the CCd the official sales address i paid and even then it was to the sale consultant at VIP. TBF the service was very good! It arrived today tracked via DHL. I've actually sorted it. Weirdly it just doesn't work via safari. Worked via Chrome on Mac OS and windows with that login info.

The modem itself is not for the faint hearted. I was expecting just BT details and that is it but it has so many options and g fast I had to configure it manually as the easy setup doesnt work for gfast. I've got it sharing DHCP and a Timecapsule for wireless. I've got an additional 20-30mbps per second this way as not losing that to BT Fon. Only slight negative is I was hoping this combo would allow the use of BTTV but it isnt working (same as my ASUS DSL88u). I'm hoping someone on here might be able to tell me the exact settings on the Zisa to get this going (checked timecapsule ones right via BT advice). I'm very happy so far.

@cantonbean sorry, I have just seen this. Have you got it working for you?

MikeMcr

Can someone please share the setting thay used for the G1000/G100 thanks
The instructions are very similar to how you configure the unlocked BT VDSL modems. Go to "Advanced Setup, WAN Service". Remove anything already there and Add a new entry as follows:

Interface: ptm0
WAN service type: Bridging
Service description: br_0_1_1.101
802.1P Priority: 0
802.1Q VLAN ID: 101
VLAN TPID: Don't select anything

Go through the other settings and get rid of anything not needed:

UPnP: Disable
Quality of Service: Disable (if managed by your router)

In "Management, Access Control, Passwords", change your "admin" password. This is also used by Telnet and SSH services.

In "Management, Access Control, Services Control" untick EVERYTHING in the WAN column and then Save. This is very important otherwise you will be exposing telnet and the other services to the Internet. You should also untick anything from the LAN column you don't need (except for HTTP, which you need to manage it).

Finally, you need to configure your router. Set the connection type to PPPoE with a username of "[email protected]" and password "password".

Last edited:

Hainesy

Just ordered BT Ultrafast 2 (the 150/30 version), upgrading from Infinity 2 yesterday, naively assumed my Openreach modem would 'just work with it' (tbf the BT guy said it would on the phone). I hadn't realised that g.fast was that 'cutting edge' and there was so little hardware about that supported it.

What's the consensus on getting it to work (I have a Unifi USG Pro I want to connect it to), there's no way I'm going to suffer using the Home Hub. Should I just wait and try and hope the BT engineer has a Huawei modem in the van and sweet talk him into giving me that or should I order one of the alternatives mentioned above?

Does anyone know whether the line will 'fall back' to negotiate the lower 80/20 speed if I keep the old openreach modem connected until I have an alternative, or will the line just break once BT flip the switch to upgrade it on their end?

Cheers

Mark

Just ordered BT Ultrafast 2 (the 150/30 version), upgrading from Infinity 2 yesterday, naively assumed my Openreach modem would 'just work with it' (tbf the BT guy said it would on the phone). I hadn't realised that g.fast was that 'cutting edge' and there was so little hardware about that supported it.

What's the consensus on getting it to work (I have a Unifi USG Pro I want to connect it to), there's no way I'm going to suffer using the Home Hub. Should I just wait and try and hope the BT engineer has a Huawei modem in the van and sweet talk him into giving me that or should I order one of the alternatives mentioned above?

Does anyone know whether the line will 'fall back' to negotiate the lower 80/20 speed if I keep the old openreach modem connected until I have an alternative, or will the line just break once BT flip the switch to upgrade it on their end?

Cheers

Mark
So, I have my G.Fast working with my USG3 by using the Zisa G100 modem. On Thursday I had my residential line moved in to my business. A BT engineer came over, done his bits in the cabinet and then plugged in an Openreach modem into the BT Business Hub, of course this didnt work, the new hubs dont need a modem. I kept the Openreach modem and plugged it straight in to my USG and it worked.

Looks like the engineers do have the modems, might be worth asking nicely. Otherwise, the home hub could be used as a bridge? Once my broadband has settled down I will be selling my Zisa modem.

Hainesy

Looks like the engineers do have the modems, might be worth asking nicely. Otherwise, the home hub could be used as a bridge? Once my broadband has settled down I will be selling my Zisa modem.
Yes, from reading round a bit it seems like theres at least a reasonable chance the BT engineer will have a modem - will have to crack out the chocolate biscuits when he comes to check the line on Thursday. I fired off a request on Alibaba for price and availability on the Zisa G100 / G1000 in the meantime, it's showing as $85-$120 on there at the moment, they don't seem to have popped up anywhere else yet.

They've got 2pcs in stocks, $139 inc shipping apparently. Think I'll wait for now...
Wow, thats an increase!!

If you dont get one out of the BT Engineer let me know. You can have mine for a small donation.

Hainesy

Wow, thats an increase!!

If you dont get one out of the BT Engineer let me know. You can have mine for a small donation.
Nice one, appreciate it. They've also got Huawei MT992 listed have pinged them to see how mucb they want for one of those, perhaps I should order a consignment - and start selling them - can see this will be an issue for more people as BT's new product get more popular! New arrival Huawei MT992-10 G.fast modem, View vdsl2 modem, Huawei Product Details from Shanghai Kaifei International Trade Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com