BT TV offers Netflix in 4K via YouView Box

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
I tried this over the weekend on the UHD box and netflix is in HD....no dolby digital plus either which was another supposed feature. Hopefully its just a glitch as it appears there are many who have it working successfully, as well as those like me, who haven't got it running at the full monty yet (I have the full Netflix subscription for UHD so that isn't the issue)

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Thanks Soup, please let us know if/when it works in UHD.
Yes, I will do. I tried on my Sony HW50 as was hoping to see how uhd Netflix downscales to 1080p but I think there is some hdcp 2.2 issue going on as I couldn't get anything working at all (my Yamaha Amp pretty much told me so but I managed to bypass that by using the front hdmi socket which must be the only non hdcp 2.2 socket it has)

Will try it direct to my 4k tv which is fully compliant to see if that opens up the UHD content, maybe later tonight if I have time.

bertha

You also need a super duper connection - despite having BT fibre my connection speed averages around 48mb download - used to be much higher when I first got it but its been creeping down :(
So I was refused it - pretty disappointing really...

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
If anyone wants this you will need an Ultra HD compatible TV. The list of current models is available here -

Ultra HD - TV compatibility and HDMI port settings | Help | BT.com Help
I've a compatible tv but it also works on non compatible tv's/projectors too, but downscaled to 1080p. You need 4k, hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 on your display to get the uhd channel.

For reference, it's worth noting that the UHD channel is a marked improvement even at 1080p, simply because it's a higher quality transmission (the cameras are designed specifically for 4k tv for example) so it's still a good improvement even without a 4k display.

whitesnake11

You also need a super duper connection - despite having BT fibre my connection speed averages around 48mb download - used to be much higher when I first got it but its been creeping down :(
As long as your fiber is 44Mb or above you can get BT UHD.

bertha

i would have thought so but when I try and do it I get 'computer says no' - I called them they said the same thing when I asked someone to explain why not - they couldn't.... I'll just have to sit tight for the time being :)

whitesnake11

i would have thought so but when I try and do it I get 'computer says no' - I called them they said the same thing when I asked someone to explain why not - they couldn't.... I'll just have to sit tight for the time being :)
I wouldn't sit tight, BT would be fed up of me complaining, I'd take it as high as I could with the company:)

muppetman

Your drop in sync rate is more than likely caused by crosstalk as your cab fills up. Openreach mentioned introducing Vectoring to sort this problem but that was a long while back so I wouldn't hold my breath.

dollag

I wouldn't sit tight, BT would be fed up of me complaining, I'd take it as high as I could with the company:)
That is exactly what i am doing at the moment.

At least 10 advisers told me the same thing with no explanation, so I wrote a formal complaint. Their complaints team also could not tell me why I was being declined. This has now been escalated and i am awaiting a response.

you should do the same (if you have the patience)

Tigerlaser

I've a compatible tv but it also works on non compatible tv's/projectors too, but downscaled to 1080p. You need 4k, hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 on your display to get the uhd channel.

For reference, it's worth noting that the UHD channel is a marked improvement even at 1080p, simply because it's a higher quality transmission (the cameras are designed specifically for 4k tv for example) so it's still a good improvement even without a 4k display.
I know that HD Netflix works with BTYV when purchased independently. Is it possible UHD only works when Netflix is bought through BT?

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
I know that HD Netflix works with BTYV when purchased independently. Is it possible UHD only works when Netflix is bought through BT?
I don't know but it's worth checking out. Might post on the youview forum to see how others who are getting uhd Netflix did it.

VisionMan

No. Its totally independent. These are technical issues that can't be cured by making 1 or 1000 complaints. If ones line can't support it, it can't support it. Sorry.

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
No. Its totally independent. These are technical issues that can't be cured by making 1 or 1000 complaints. If ones line can't support it, it can't support it. Sorry.
But what if you are getting uhd channel but not uhd Netflix? Surely that can be cured?

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Just opened an email from BT. Looks like it needs to be connected to a 4k display to unlock the uhd Netflix option. I didn't get round to trying last night but maybe tonight...

1450783843495.jpg

Tigerlaser

My suggestion is technically feasible. The UHD Netflix feed on YV may well come through the same server BT use for broadcasting their other UHD content. wish I knew someone who works on this.

Jackass

Just opened an email from BT. Looks like it needs to be connected to a 4k display to unlock the uhd Netflix option. I didn't get round to trying last night but maybe tonight...

View attachment 659282
Soup,
I was going to say you'll need a 4K display definitately for the Netflix UHD to show,
Won't work on a full HD display. :smashin:

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Soup,
I was going to say you'll need a 4K display definitately for the Netflix UHD to show,
Won't work on a full HD display. :smashin:
Thanks. Pity that, as I already have Netflix UHD on my TV, I was hoping to see what it's like downscaled to 1080p on my projector.