• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BT Sport via Sky HD box

Hi all
I've read somewhere that you can get BT Sport via your Sky HD box.
Is this a satellite signal like rest of sky programs or is it streamed to the box somehow.

Also is there any deals to be had in the monthly cost as it sounds minty.

Are you tied into a contract on BT sport

Cheers everyone

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Satellite signal. Cheapest way is to take BT broadband as I believe it's free with that product

owen021173

It is free if you have bt Internet. If you want hd it's an extra £5.
Not sure if it's still free for new customers for 12 months though???

Random Precision

interbear

I've got sky tv and virgin fibre

BT Sport will therefore cost you £19.99 a month with an additional £4 for HD.

That's what I pay for it on my Sky box. I have explored the idea of moving my broadband from Sky to BT to get BT Sport for less (it would be £5 plus £4 for HD) but can't bring myself to do it....for one, I'm not a fan of BT service and secondly, Sky's prices for phone and broadband seem better than BT every time I do the calculation. So overall I seem to be better off sticking with Sky and paying the premium for BT Sport.

TJT1

Distinguished Member
So Sky is a better deal even when you factor in the extra £19.99/month extra that you are paying for BT Sport?

interbear

So Sky is a better deal even when you factor in the extra £19.99/month extra that you are paying for BT Sport?

It is for me currently. They promoted a deal to "guarantee" that they would be the cheapest route to get BT Sport on the Sky platform. Which they deliver via a £5.50 / month discount on line rental and free unlimited broadband. It works out cheaper....just.

mcspongy

Are you tied into a contract on BT sport

Cheers everyone
You can get the BT Sport on Sky on a monthly basis but there is a £30
activation fee (not sure what cost that is supposed to cover), or you can take on a 12-month contract (£15 activation fee) and get 3 months free, or that was the latest offer a couple of weeks ago, but same monthly cost.

As I only watch (and record) BT Sport for MotoGP and they never gave the option of "BT Sport Lite 2" (by which i mean just subscribing to BT Sport 2 channel) I cancelled my BT Sport as I don't need it all year, and in fact it worked out overall cheaper for me to leave BT entirely for broadband etc as well and next year pay the £19.99 (plus £4 extra for HD) each month when I need it (plus the £30 one-off rip-off charge).

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
it worked out overall cheaper for me to leave BT entirely for broadband etc as well and next year pay the £19.99 (plus £4 extra for HD) each month when I need it (plus the £30 one-off rip-off charge).

The £30 fee is a Sky activation charge which BT then pass on to the user. Its £15 because BT subsidise the charge for a user taking out a 12 month contract.

muppetman

On the info I found

On a monthly retail subscription charge of £19.99

Platform contribution charge £0.80
Conditional Access Charge £0.19
Access Card Charge £0.04

Per month per subscriber £1.02 (£12.24 for 12 months)

To be fair it said 2014 on the list I read.

sceptic

The monthly contract charge is £19.99 plus an activation charge of £30 for BT Sport on HD (3 months free HD)
If you take an annual contract the activation charge is £15.

BT Sport On Sky Packages And Deals Online | BT
It gives you:
BT Sport 1 on channel 413
BT Sport Europe on channel 414
BT Sport 2 on channel 417
BT Sport//ESPN on channel 426
You can also watch the BT app live on phone or tablet.

Last edited:

mcspongy

The monthly contract charge is £19.99 plus an activation charge of £30 for BT Sport on HD (3 months free HD)
If you take an annual contract the activation charge is £15.
So do you only have to pay the £30 if you want the channels in HD? I was confused by the website before, the 3 months free HD when not on a minimum (other than monthly contract)?? I wondered if this was a mistake in their website like they had when they 1st introduced the UHD channel offers.

But effectively you would be paying £15 either way for the activation fee, if you were going for HD channels anyway, whether on the monthly or yearly contract options? That's less of a rip off I guess, and indeed the option I was planning to take next Spring.

Come to think of it, is there any incentive to take a 12-month contract then? Maybe if you specifically don't want to view in HD, but I think sport is one thing that definitely benefits from HD.

Last edited by a moderator:

sceptic

There's a chat service which would help clarify the deals. I tried to get them to waive the activation fee but was unsuccessful.

InvisibleDuncan

Distinguished Member
Some ISPs will provide BT Sport for a reduced price. PlusNet do it for £9.99 or £12.49 for HD, although I'm getting it in HD for £7.99 as I took them up on their original offer and then quibbled when they tried to increase it. There doesn't look to be a connection fee (I certainly didn't pay one when I took it up), and the minimum term is one month from your next billing date - so it could be up to two months if you subscribe the day after your bill.

This is via my Sky box, but only one - there's no multiroom available doing it through PlusNet.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom