Quantcast

Question BT Sport on Sky; Early 2019

CTR_Paul

Does anyone have any idea what's happening with this?

I was recently told that Sky would have all the BT Sport channels towards the end of the month, doing some digging it appears the advisor meant that Sky will be selling BT Sport without the requirement for any contact with BT from the consumer end. Sky on Twitter seem to have confirmed what he was saying to me, but there are no details available at present. I'm just interested in what it's going to offer, as I'd like to have the Moto GP and other football stuff in 4K as well !

whitesnake11

As far as I know BT in 4K is unlikely when Sky begin to sell BT Sports, unless someone knows otherwise?

Scotland11

When I last spoke to Sky they said they wouldn't be selling BT Sport themselves until the start of the new Premier League season. I asked about BT Sport in 4K (seeing as Virgin now have it too) and was told if that was happening, it would be at the same time as the regular BT Sport channels are sold by Sky - so no confirmation one way or the other, which I didn't expect as there has been nothing public on it.

I'm hoping they add BT Sport 4K but I wouldn't hold out for it. I had it when I had BT Sport via BT TV but found it annoying constantly switching boxes/remotes from Sky to BT and back if wanting to switch between games. It's also doubly annoying that they started showing Scottish football in 4K just as I switched over to BT Sport on Sky. BT Sport 4k and Amazon Prime on Sky Q would complete the package for me.

tolmie

Good to see another member from scotland. I have BT sport via plusnet and also have sky so slightly annoying have 2 boxes, only pluses are is that it means i have 4 tuners and BT sports on plusnet is only costing me £5 wheras my friend on sky was paying something like £25 just for BT sport.

Ive not upgraded to sky q yet as im not prepared to pay a £75 install fee and also i need to pay £200 upfront as i have no need for sky q in another other room. It would be nice to have it upstairs in my bedroom but like many people the tv in my bedroom is flat to the wall on a bracket and i have nowhere to put another sky box so ideally if they could create an app for the tvs as i think many people will be like me and dont have room or want a sat box in there bedroom.

I think sky q is quite a hard sell, I just dont see this amazing selling point, it has 4k but so does netflix and amazon and i have both of them and they probably have better content now.

Scotland11

We have a mini box in the bedroom so it's good to be able to record/download shows to the main box and then watch it on either box. It was our only option when taking out Sky anyway.

For existing customers, if you are happy with only 1 Sky HD box then Sky Q probably isn't worthwhile right now unless you are desperate for a limited number of sport events in 4K and are prepared to pay a premium for it. However, you should be able to haggle a better deal to upgrade.

I'm with BT for broadband so my BT Sport on Sky deal is a reasonable price - £12.50 per month inc. HD and multiroom plus the BT Sport app. It's the main reason I'm with BT for broadband.

tolmie

Ye my BT sports pack with plusnet in HD is £5 also includes the bt sport app so pretty happy plus all the channels such as history, discovery etc. Full sky bundle is costing me £36.

mcspongy

I was told "between March or April" in chat with Sky advisor the othe day for when BT Sport will be available. He wouldnt comment on pricing or whether it would be separate channels or one package, unsurprisingly. Really hoping there will be some good intro offers, if it starts in the football off-season.

mcspongy

Ye my BT sports pack with plusnet in HD is £5 also includes the bt sport app so pretty happy plus all the channels such as history, discovery etc. Full sky bundle is costing me £36.
Can ypu watch full replays of Moto gP races, do you know? Or just highlights? Its not very clear on the App website.

tolmie

Im not sure, I never use the app as I watch everything through the box.

CTR_Paul

It's a real shame the likes of F1, MotoGP and the Premier League don't offer streaming packages. There's not masses I watch on Sky, even less on BT, but I do enjoy sport, and get royally shafted to watch it. My Father-in-law pays some obscene amount to BT just so he can watch the MotoGP via his Sky box. The theory that competition drives down prices really isn't the case where pay TV is concerned. Maybe we need Amazon to start buying up rights for sport and really shake up the market a bit.

Scotland11

Amazon buying rights is yet another subscription cost. It was better when one sole pay provider had the rights - when Sky had all English football, Scottish football, Champions League & La Liga. Now you'll need 5 subscriptions to see what you used to get with 1

English Football - Sky, BT, Amazon
Scottish Football - Sky, Premier Sports
Champions League - BT
La Liga - Eleven Sports

stripeyjoe

It's all a con, there is no competition as they all show a different selection of matches so each provider has a monopoly on the matches they have the rights to.
I hope Amazon don't get any more footy as it's bad enough giving money to Sky, not sure I could stomach giving any money to tax evading slave driving buggers like Amazon.

whitesnake11

Amazon buying rights is yet another subscription cost. It was better when one sole pay provider had the rights - when Sky had all English football, Scottish football, Champions League & La Liga. Now you'll need 5 subscriptions to see what you used to get with 1

English Football - Sky, BT, Amazon
Scottish Football - Sky, Premier Sports
Champions League - BT
La Liga - Eleven Sports
My understanding is that amazon prime members won’t have an additional sub for the football.

Premier League TV rights: Amazon to show 20 matches a season from 2019-2022

Scotland11

But you would still need that Amazon Prime membership to access that.

Anyway, I've gone a bit off topic from the OP now.

Richard10002

Standard Member
Any news on this? Press announcement that it would be available early 2019.... then it would start being sold for the next Premier League Season, (starts next month), yet I can find nothing. Was it all a dream?

Gonebytheway

Standard Member
Sky already offering BT sports and Premier sport for €10 per month on Sky R.O.I no sign of UK getting it.
If similar offer at £10 per month when it happens Sky would cover all PL matches.
I was offered BT sport on Sky platform for £7.50 /month but tied me in to a new 24 month broadband contract.Holding of to see what Sky offer is like,much easier to deal with.

Toon Army

Would not be surprised if BT's strategy is to sell the games on their own platforms first as the season progresses and then offer it through other platforms such as Sky, once they have exhausted the first option. That's how I would do it for what it's worth.

Tristan45

What’s the best price people are getting bt with Hd on the sky platform,should I wait till sky sell it themselves

Gonebytheway

Standard Member
I was offered bt sport on sky at £7.50 hd was a further £6.50 after 3 months plus with having bt broadband it was going to begin a new 24 month contract.Didnt want that and Sky southern ireland are offering BT Sport and Premier Sport for €10 / month.
I would wait and see what Sky UK offer when it happens.

Tristan45

I was offered bt sport on sky at £7.50 hd was a further £6.50 after 3 months plus with having bt broadband it was going to begin a new 24 month contract.Didnt want that and Sky southern ireland are offering BT Sport and Premier Sport for €10 / month.
I would wait and see what Sky UK offer when it happens.
Any idea when it’s likely to happen?
Anybody in the know?

Gonebytheway

Standard Member
Some information suggests end of August others say end of year.If Sky R.O I are already offering it perhaps its not too far away.