BT Sport Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdoherty76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Very surprised that this isn't being discussed anywhere on this forum.

All the info has been released today and the incredible news is that Sky customers can switch their broadband to BT and get THREE premium sports channels free on their Sky box. In fact you can have a non-sub sky box and get the channels on it, just for having BT Broadband.

Really odd that nobody here seems interested in discussing it.

Anyway the BT Sport 1 and 2 channels are now live showing promos on Sky channels 413 and 414. There are also HD versions there.

I presume if you have or get a freesat from sky card and you have bt broadband you can bt sport added to this card for free?

I presume if you have or get a freesat from sky card and you have bt broadband you can bt sport added to this card for free?

I would assume so. Obviously you couldn't record in that case but I suspect most want it for live football anyway.

It sounds too good to be true but there are no catches.

BT broadband is a bit more expensive than Sky's but you can get the first 6 months free and a sainsburys voucher and cashback. Also you can have HD free for the first year if you sign up for BT Sport by 1st August and even after that first year HD is only £3 a month.

There will be a hell of a lot of people running sky for TV and BT for broadband now. Bit of a pain having 2 bills but the obvious thing to do to get the best of both worlds.

What makes you think that? What has FSFS to do with BT?

What makes you think that? What has FSFS to do with BT?

He is right.

Anyone with a Sky box and viewing card, regardless of whether they have a sky sub or not, will get the BT sport channels on their Sky box, providing they have BT Broadband.

That is why I am surprised that this is not being discussed here. It is the biggest shake up in sports broadcasting for 20 years.

Why would you need any card?
All that a FSFS card does is regionalise the machine and provide a few specific channels.

All that a FSFS card does is regionalise the machine and provide a few specific channels.

As I understand it, you give a viewing card number to BT.

Is a FSFS card different to a viewing card with an active subscription? Perhaps BT will send you a card.

Anyway, details like that aside, you can get BT Sport (all 3 channels of it) free on your sky box if you have BT broadband. And no sky sub is required.

And how are BT going to authorise you to view it without a card in the sky box?

Anyway, I've just ordered it. Was paying £10 a month for ESPN anyway so to get it for free plus 2 other sports channels is great news :thumbsup:

Free for twelve months I see...

"BT Sport is also available on the Sky Digital Satellite Platform and BT TV with Infinity for new and existing broadband customers who sign up for 12 months or have 12 months remaining on their contract; ongoing renewal needed to get at a BT Sport at a discount."

Free HD for 12 months.

SD will still be free after 12 months, HD will be £3 a month.

Sorry for the noob question but, I currently subscribe to Sky World plus ESPN. If I want to carry on with the prem football next year, would now be a good time to cancel the ESPN sub and move to BT? Thanks.

Sorry for the noob question but, I currently subscribe to Sky World plus ESPN. If I want to carry on with the prem football next year, would now be a good time to cancel the ESPN sub and move to BT? Thanks.

You should have had a letter from sky, from the 31st of July your subscription to ESPN will automatically be cancelled and you will no longer be charged for it.

You should have had a letter from sky, from the 31st of July your subscription to ESPN will automatically be cancelled and you will no longer be charged for it.

Thanks Ian. No I've not had the letter yet but at least I know now what the situation is. Cheers.

Free for twelve months I see...

"BT Sport is also available on the Sky Digital Satellite Platform and BT TV with Infinity for new and existing broadband customers who sign up for 12 months or have 12 months remaining on their contract; ongoing renewal needed to get at a BT Sport at a discount."

No, it is free for the next three years by the look of it. After that we will have to see the results of the next EPL auction. Although, by all accounts, BT have taken a 10 year lease on their studios and signed a 5 year deal with Moto GP so chances are the channels will be here for the long run, with or without EPL.

They say there is no such thing as a free lunch but there are about 5 million BT broadband customers who are about to get one.:D

I wonder what would have happened though if BT had won the majority of the EPL rights in the auction. Surely they wouldn't have given them away for free.

Last edited:
And how are BT going to authorise you to view it without a card in the sky box?
I don't know.
With any luck someone will tell us.

The question was "how are BT going to authorise you to view it without a card in the sky box?"

The site specifically says "What you need - An active Sky viewing card number" - which can't include a FSFS card.

The question was "how are BT going to authorise you to view it without a card in the sky box?"

The site specifically says "What you need - An active Sky viewing card number" which can't include a FSFS card.

If that is true then they are giving completely conflicting information. Their press release said that no sky subscription was required at all.

This is what their press release says:

Customers taking BT Sport via Sky's digital satellite platform will be able to access the three channels with just one call to BT, making it very convenient for customers who want to take sports content from both BT and Sky. There will be no requirement for customers to take a Sky TV subscription of any kind as BT Sport will be retailed by BT.

Media centre

It could be that they just mean they are retailing it themselves with no involvement from sky. But they need to make it clear.

If a subscription to sky is needed then surely the £10 sky+ one is enough.

"If you have a satellite receiver box and viewing card, you can easily take BT Sport from us. You don't need to be a BT customer - but if you have our broadband, it's free. And it's only available direct from BT. Order now for free HD for a year."

"Get live sport in your living room with a BT TV and BT Infinity package. Order now for free HD for a year."

"If you have a satellite receiver box and viewing card, you can easily take BT Sport from us. You don't need to be a BT customer - but if you have our broadband, it's free. And it's only available direct from BT. Order now for free HD for a year."

"Get live sport in your living room with a BT TV and BT Infinity package. Order now for free HD for a year."

Your point?

If it is true that you need a sky subscription then that is ridiculous. It suggests nobody can retail their own channels on satellite without sky getting a subscription from it.

Surely a fsfs card has a number and can be deactivated so why can't channels be added to it?

Well, I have spoken to BT who seem very confused and say you need an "active" card. But then I rang premier sports who said they can activate a fsfs card to receive premier sports on a non-sub sky box.

So if they can do it then it is possible and BT could do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom