BT socket

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by rominho, Jun 15, 2009.

1. rominho

rominho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is a kind of a "off topic" post, but because the final intention is to connect a Broadband router I thought the good folks here in the network forum could help.

I recently moved in to a brand new building, there are phone sockets in every room, but the BT engineer only activated the main socket in the living room and said he wasn't allowed to touch any other. (I am sure I would be able to change his mind with a £10 tip offer, but unfortunately I wasn't at home when he came, my wife dealt with him )

None of the other sockets are working at the moment, out of curiosity I opened one of them and they seem to be all wired up, so my guess is that they only need some kind of simple "activation" on the main socket (?).

Well as you can see I have no knowledge on this matter, can anyone out there help? Any tip?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    All your phone extensions are usually wired back to the master socket. Your master socket will have a face plate which you are allowed to remove but the rest of the master socket belongs to BT and you are not allowed to play with. (This socket and face plate is the demarcation between BT's responsibility and your own.)

Your extensions should connect to the back of this face plate. When the face plate is plugged back into the master socket the extension will become live/working. Check this out first...

There are things you can do to improve your broadband connection e.g. remove the bell wire from your sockets (pin 3) but that's for a later time...

3. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
  4. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Don't take too much notice of the text however because some of it is just plain rubbish. (It confuses NTE5 with an i-Plate faceplate, for example.)

To connect the extensions to the backplate wire them as follows; Blue & White to 2 and White an Blue to 5. Connect no other wires, they are not needed.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  5. Galactico

Galactico
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Using Blue/White White/Blue is how BT do it but using any of the colours work as long as they are ALL the same in every socket.

Before you connect them to the master socket, check what they are in all of the extension sockets and as long as they are the same in each socket just match that. Save pulling it all out for little reason.

If you use a wireless router and walkabout phones I wouldn't worry too much about having loads of extensions. I've seen houses where they have 6 or 7 extensions which when you take into account the cable run, does no good at all for the Broadband speed.