• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BT socket/wiring help

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Hi

I'm trying to optimise my broadband connection and hear lots of talk about the BT test socket and getting the wiring right.

But in my house I have no test socket, the main cable from outside comes into this little box:

The black cable you can just see is from outside, then two other cables go to two extensions where my phone and broadband are connected to.

Does that wiring look familiar to anyone and if so, what improvements would you recommend to update it?

Many Thanks
Greg

Last edited:

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Thanks for your help, but I have checked all the wiring and we appear to have a very odd system.

I have traced the wire coming from the telephone pole outside and it comes straight into the house and connects to that junction box in my picture.

From that junction box I have two diy extensions going to the kitchen and the study. Neither of these are master sockers as they are just extensions.

So I am completely puzzled now! Should I get someone in to convert that junction box into a master socket or something?

zoidy

Hi,

sounds like a similar situation I am in. Moving from Virgin Media to BT Vision, broadband and phone line etc but I have checked for the BT master socket and as usual it seems to be a dodgy job.

Wiring from outside the house comes in to a junction box similar to yours in the extrance hallway (looks to be six wires coming out - orange, orange/white, blue, blue/white, green, green/white) and then a diy extension cable has been run behind the skirting board to the spare room downstairs. The box at the end is a normal extension cable socket and not a master.

I think it has been this way for several years and the previous owners must have done it. Going to ring BT to see if it would cost me for them to rectify the situation and stick in a normal master socket.

Would be good to know if you get any info too though.

Cheers,
Pete.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I think it has been this way for several years and the previous owners must have done it. Going to ring BT to see if it would cost me for them to rectify the situation and stick in a normal master socket.

Would be good to know if you get any info too though.

Cheers,
Pete.

Yeah, does sound similar to mine. I have checked and apparently we did have a proper socket back in the early 80s, but we had an extension built on the side of the house then and that was probably when the socket was removed and turned into a junction box to allow an extension socket in the new part of the house.

I would be interested what BT say for your situation aswell. :smashin:

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
You should call BT and say that you want to install more extensions but do not have a 'demarcation point' that is to say an NTE5 Master Socket. (Try to avoid getting into a discussion as to why - just say you don't have one.)

They should send an engineer to upgrade you to modern standards. I do not believe that there should be a charge for this.

symbian

I'm running BT line at the moment. My line is ok. um. . . it is OK but my socket is very old and it used to have a signal problem but BT came to fix it already. I'm thinking about asking them to get a new socket type. I have heard that if you get connected this time your socket would be different from mine (more than 15 years old). All I want is to improve my line speed connection and move the master socket to where I want.

Has anyone just been installed by BT? I would like to know what your socket looks like.

I might ask them to get a new connection to do that and I will cancel my old BT line after that. Would it be a good idea? If they dont charge me much, it would be ok.

I will wait and see Zoidy result.:clap:

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
symbian - If BT (that is to say: Openreach) have already been out to you they will have fitted a modern NTE5 as a matter of course, if you did not already have one. It's SOP.

To improve you line speed connect to your router/modem to your Master Socket and ensure that your extensions are connected to ONLY connectors 2 ands 5 at the Master Socket.

There are some rules about where the Master Socket can be in your dwelling. Only BT (Openreach) can move it and they will charge you for moving it.

See the post above for what an NTE5 looks like. However I would be careful about using the advice on wiring as it is out of date. (Only 2 and 5 are needed with modern phones.)

A new connection (pair) is likely to be better or worse or the same as the old one. It is not possible to speculate either way.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom