BT/Sky TV Noob

pburgess25

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted on these forums, life has somehow got in the way, but now I need some professional advice from you guys and gals. I've stuck with the same broadband and tv provider for many years now and never had the want nor need to change. I've been with VM, well, even before they got into the home entertainment scene, when it was Telewest. After all those years, I've been more than happy with the tv package and I've always been the envy of my work colleagues with the high speed broadband, especially when it comes to online gaming.

However, my wife and I have just purchased a new build, in a place when VM hasn't yet reached, so I am now on the search for another service provider, and kiss good-bye to my 150mb speed and say hello to a more standard 38mb :(. The house is nearly finished and we will be moving in on the 22nd of this month :eek: so I'd like to get things sorted and in place before moving day, to avoid any disruptions.

I've been getting package deals fom Sky and BT. I hate to say it, but BT is coming out on top at the moment with their price and service offers. I did toy with the idea of getting Now tv and getting the Broadband through Plusnet, but I don't think that now tv or amazon tv offer the channels that I require. I personally don't watch that much TV (more of a gamer). But I have a 2year old and she loves NickJr, the wife also loves entertainment and documentary channels. So those channels are a must. We're not in to movies or sport either.

Anyway, save waffling I just have a few questions:
  1. Do i need an aerial or a dish on my house if I were to go with Sky? If a dish is needed, would that be part of the installation charge?
  2. Would I really notice the difference in my gaming experience (PS4 online) if I were to go from a 150mb connection to a 38mb connection?
  3. How does Sky get its freeview channels? Is it through the ground Fibre Optic cable or through a dish?

I'm sorry if these questions seem totally stupid, but I've been so used to VM for so long getting the broadband and tv to my house with just the one cable removing any need for a standard aerial.

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

1, With Sky you'd require a dish which is included in the installation.
2. The difference in speeds would be more noticeable when downloading however 38mb is still pretty quick and shouldn't cause issue. Gaming is generally down to your ping the lower the better.
3. All the channels on the Sky EPG even the free ones are delivered over satellite so no need for a separate aerial.

Cheers for the reply muppetman, thats answered everything. Am i right in thinking that the ping is affected by how far away you are away from the local exchange? I don't suppose you or anyone else has any recommendations as to what to opt for? I'm open to suggestionsfor what my options are.

I'm presuming you are moving from cable (Virgin) with you mentioning 150mb ?
I currently use BT Infinity and have had no issues , there are many others you can use though. If you are thinking of Sky TV you can also use Sky Fibre.

If its a new build property they are notorious for not having a post code until months after build, so check that you have one. No post code, no services.

Hi there, haveing just read your requirements then plusnet tv and broadband are bang on for you, kids channels and documentary channels, exactly what you need and plusnet usually do brilliant deals on this. Kids channels and doc channels delivered over BB.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom