• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BT & Sky in the same house?

barneybelly

Standard Member
Hello folks.
Forgive me if this may be a silly question but....
can I have BT internet and sky broadband in the same house?
Only reason I ask is that at the moment I have 4 months left on my BT internet phoneline & broadband contract. This is only on the 10gb download limit per month.
I did enquire about upgrading to the unlimited but they wanted an extra £28 per month until the end of the contract.
They did give me an offer for £21 per month but I would have had to agree a new 12 month contract.
So it worked out cheaper to go with sky for £10 per month.
Sky wanted some kind of code which I get off BT so i phoned Bt and they said that you cannot have the two in the household at the same time..is this true?
BT said if I go with sky I will need to cancel there account which will cost me £55 for coming out of the contract early?
IS this right or was the rude lady telling me porkies?
Your thoughts please!!!!
thanks
Dave

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
1. i phoned Bt and they said that you cannot have the two in the household at the same time..is this true?

2. BT said if I go with sky I will need to cancel there account which will cost me £55 for coming out of the contract early?
1. Yes and no. It is possible but only if you have two telephone lines. Assuming that you only have one the answer is that you can only have one or the other.

2. Correct.

The code refereed to is a MAC. You get it from BT and give it to Sky. BT are obliged to give you a MAC on demand but are entitled to charge you for the unexpired part of the contract.

10JH

Established Member
We've got both, but as said already, on two phonelines.

The Sky one is far more reliable and slightly faster too, so I'll be getting rid of the BT and getting another Sky one soon!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom