BT set to fuel my fire!!!

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by pinshot, Feb 11, 2009.

1. pinshot

pinshot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok so i wont go on about the obvious how bad British Telecom are as im sure anyone on these forums knows they are the worse of the worse (as with anything with British/royal in the title)...so straight to the point.

I am moving to a new build home and there is no way at all to get virgin media's 50mps service :(....so im stuck with BT (i almost did not buy based on this alone). The thing is i MUST have a HIGH speed unlimtied internet connection for both personal and work reasons.

My question is does anyone know of anything i can do to get 50mps or better connection (or even close) in the Leighton Buzzard area....im open to all suggestions regardless of cost at this point....i really would rather lose a finger then go back to BT and there throttling, Indian call centre, deceiving clutches!

i have heard about 100MPS through sewer or something....any knowledge? There must be a way since businesses can get much bandwidth so surely can my home business?

any help please,

Thanks

2. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    there is no 100mbit connection on broadband released

your best bet to see if you can get upto 24meg with bethere but depends on your adsl line stats but you can find out what max speed you can get by ringing o2 or be as o2 is cheaper and do upto 20meg

allowed to download with o2 as i know 500gb before getting throttled and i think bethere is fully unlimited but not sure you would after ask them

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  3. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
  4. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Use 1st link in my sig to see which LLU options are available to you.

If you can get BE they would probably be your best option but as already said speed of up to 24Mb will depend on your line quality.

The fibre via sewer option is only being small scale trialled in Bournemouth, Dundee & Northampton (if memory serves) and a general release is some years off. By that time there will probably be several other high speed options available too.

Businesses use either:
    Business version of standard ADSL (very little difference from residential ADSL)
    SDSL (equal upload & download speeds, only 2Mb but with little contention)
    Leased lines, these will give you exactly what you want...if you're willing to shell out many thousands of pounds per year.

5. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    I cannot think what any of this has to do with your rant against BT. Why not something to say about Virgin who have stopped cabling or the LLU ISPs because they have not cherry picked your local exchange?

Nowadays checking the Broadband availability is surely as important as checking for any other service to a property before you buy it?

If you MUST have high speed unlimited Internet connection, you may have bought the wrong property for your requirements.

Even if your Local Exchange can only offer BT Wholesale based products, you do not need to take BT Retail Broadband but can choose from any of the ISPs that remarket BTW products so you won't need to talk to anyone from BT.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  6. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Speak to BT/C&W/others and asked for a leased line. LL's come in sizes from 256kb to 1Gb. Benefit is you get no contention, 100% bidirectional line rate and an SLA. You will not need a 50Mb LL to be comparable to Virgin 50Mb. You may get away with a 2Mb or 4Mb service instead. You will pay for the privilege but you will get what you want.

I don't really agree with your rant at BT about this though. ADSL is well known to be 8Mb max and significantly less in practice and you've already said Virgin isn't in your area :confused:

7. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    what about SKY BB? they seem to win each year as best BB provider, just looking into it myself as bt are throttling me down to 7kbps from 4pm till midnight each night when I get 400kbps during the day

8. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Sky Max is excellent so far as usage goes...no limits at all (not even an FUP), no shaping & no slow down.

However the OP says he wants very fast speeds indeed & Sky tops out at 16Mb. having said that if his line isnt capable of any faster than 16Mb and he does opt for an ADSL2+ option, then Sky would be just as good as BE or better in some regards.

9. pinshot

pinshot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok guys thanks for the advice.

just moved in...my experience so far:

Ordered BT well in advance so that an engineer visit would take place same week i moved in...called them the day before in anticipation for a screw up on BTs end and surprise surprise someone had "mistakenly" cancelled my order the day before and it would need to be rebooked!

According to samknows BT WBC will be activated on 31/3/2009...my new appointment is on 1/4/09 so could be interesting. I am hoping to be able to get upto 20mb in that case. which will probably see me get about 5mb :( but i guess its only for 2 years until this new fibre network rolls out.

p.s i saved £50000 on this house is why i didnt bother to check BB before getting it and yes i do blame virgin for not providing to new customers...its a disgrace!